Overdrive - Gearbox Top Switches - Wiring

Hi,

I have been doing quite well on reconditioning my 1973 Carb TR6 after being stored for 20+ years. It is now back on the road and running ok.

I have started improving it by mainly targeting the steering which seems to be very stiff/"stuck". I am about to install a new steering rack from Rimmer and also noted that my front upper ball joints are very jammed and do not move freely. I have order those too and will replace it all next week together with a new set of suspension bushes. I expect handling and steering to improve significantly.

If is will still not "get there" in terms of handling I will target the suspension (front and back) and will look into possible new tiers. My goal is, as best as possible,to have the TR6 handle nicely for my son and maybe even wife to take it for a ride. As mentioned in a different post,I would like to get it closer in handling as a nice MGB i recently drove.

To the topic... my TR6 was installed by my father 20 years ago with a Type A Overdrive from a Triumph 2000. The overdrive seems to function properly. However, once the main overdrive switch is on, the overdrive functions in ALL gears, as well as in reverse. I can even hear the solenoid engage in neutral. Obviously it is wired incorrectly with direct connection to the power.

I went on a "Sunday" job and removed the gear cover to see what is going on. I noted that I have NO "regulating" switches on the gear top. There are actually currently two switches on the gear top but those seem to be the reverse switch and the neutral safety switch - see the Buckeye diagram - as per the diagram I have the two most left switches and thats all - basically I believe my solenoid is connected directly to the current only throw the main on/off switch without ANY of the necessary gear top switches "regulating" the engagement of the overdrive. I would like to fix that http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Gearbox/GearboxCover/GearboxCover.htm

Here are my questions:

1. Is the current gear top installed, the "original" gear top of a TR6 without an overdrive and therefore the necessary extra electricity switches are missing?

2. Can I simply replace "just" the gear top? To which one? From which model? Which switches should I strive to have in the gear top just the 3/4th gear? or also a 2nd gear (given that it is an "A" type - but note it is an type A from a Triumph 2000 not TR6 ... does it matter?)

3. Can I install "just" the necessary switches on the existing gear top? Is it too complicated? Should I not mess around/drill the existing top, in order to install switches? Sounds like a job for professionals?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Eran

post-13918-0-32501300-1458935604_thumb.jpg

post-13918-0-03217100-1458935609_thumb.jpg

post-13918-0-41967900-1458935613_thumb.jpg

Hi

Read a bit more and it sees like i simply need to install an isolator switch as per the following on my existing gear top http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Gearbox/ODSwitches/ODSwitches.htm

Seems like a possible task. I think might install just a 3/4th switch as having an overdrive on 2nd seems "excessive". Or maybe I will drill two holes :)

Thx