I am in need of an original 4TR Regulator as above please, if anyone has one hidden away in the garage,

Thanks in anticipation,

Cheers,

Conrad.

Why Conrad?

Steve

Ps

Think I might have one though. Will have a look

Why is because i fitted an old style alternator with a new type box, not noticing the Polarity change, and the ignition light stayed on.......have tried it with an Original 4TR box(from another car) and it worked just fine..

You are probably right roger, but was going for the original look !

Thanks,

Conrad.

Hi Conrad

I'm currently investigating modern alternatives that would fit into the 4TR casing for my E-Type. I've had endless problems with the ammeter shooting off the scale. I've replaced everything including the ammeter itself but to no avail. So I now suspect the modern 4TR repros are the real culprits.

I've just bought this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191436616878?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's made in the UK by Durite who have a good reputation for quality components.

I'm going to test it tomorrow and if successful substitute it for the 4TR internals. This will require some surgery to make it fit but the encapsulated electronic part should squeeze inside.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Alan Cochrane

Hi Conrad I had one at stoneleigh in the £1 box! I don't know if either of my little helpers sold it or not, if it's still there it's in jeffs van in the UK. ...................... It won't be a £1 now though lol.

Thanks for you input Clem and Alan, i will be interested in your experiment Alan.....and clem i am certainly interested at a £1. hope they didnt sell it !!!

All the best,

Conrad,

Well the first test was a failure. The Durite Regulator failed to energise the alternator field coil, but it did stop the ammeter bouncing way past the charging side of the scale because of this. Obviously not a long term solution.

This regulator has five connections:-

1-green-field

2-red-ignition

3-yellow-ignition lamp

4-blue-N/S

5-black-ground

I used terminals 1,2&5 but I'm now wondering if one or both of the other two terminals should also be connected.

Anyone have any ideas and what does N/S stand for?

Cheers

Alan

Forgive me but this sounds a bit like a poke and hope exercise. Given that I would guess that the N/S wire is a battery sense wire which can be bridged to terminal 2. I would also connect up the warning light but you need to find out if the other side of the lamp needs ground or +12v and for that you need a circuit diagram from the vehicle that this regulator was intended for.

E & OE of course.

Edited by peejay4A

Pete

I have been trying to get a wiring diagram on the interweb but so far no luck, Good idea about the voltage sensing for the N/S terminal.

The ignition lamp connection is purely optional as far as I can tell. I can check the voltage at terminal 3 once the ignition is switched on.

Alan

The 4TR box was used on early series1 XJ6 as well so surely Jaguar breakers should have an original one.

Stuart.

Well I failed the second time round with the Durite Regulator. The N/S terminal actually stands for neutral star point. So this has to be connected to the star point on the stator windings. Fortunately I had a spare 11AC alternator to look at. Unfortunately the star point is cunningly hidden in amongst the windings and iron core.

I'm now on the look-out for a Voltage Regulator that does not require this connection and will fit inside the 4TR casing. Life's never easy.

Alan

Sounds complicated Alan, but have every faith in you ..

Cheers,

Conrad.

PS , i have located one !

• 2 weeks later...

Conrad

Did you find that the original 4TR regulator was up to the job.

I gave up on finding a modern alternative to the regulator and ended up buying an NOS one from Ebay. Surprise, surprise the ammeter needle stopped performing it's mad dance and exiting stage left never to reappear. It now oscillates slightly at tickover and is steady, showing a slight charge, at anything above 1000rpm. So I'm now finally satisfied after five years of frustration and replacing all the charging circuit components without success. The two repro 4TR regulators I bought, both caused wild ammeter needle movements so I'm now looking for another original as a spare.

So beware of repro parts-they may look the same as the original but often that's where the similarity ends.

Alan

Hi Alan, we keep learning as we go along this dusty triumph road !

The one I bought didn't work on the car is intended it for, tried it on another and hey presto, so basically I swapped and both cars are happy, both 5's.

All the best,

Conrad.

Hi Alan, we keep learning as we go along this dusty triumph road !

The one I bought didn't work on the car is intended it for, tried it on another and hey presto, so basically I swapped and both cars are happy, both 5's.

All the best,

Conrad.