My TR4 is a very slow starter- even with a brand new battery

When turning over on initial start up it sometimes almost comes to stop mid churn before turning over again, although it always starts after a couple of slow rotations, its been like this for four years!

Ive checked all the earth straps / connections and they appear fine

is there anything else I can do / check before I remove the starter itself (and do I need to remove the exhaust to do this)

The PO told me he had replaced the starter just before I bought it as it wasn't working properly - although the starter didn't look new or reconditioned. Maybe the starter was replaced with a good one and the fault lies elsewhere, or maybe it wasn't replaced at all.

Thanks

Stuart

I would do a few basic voltage checks before you get your hands too dirty.

Measure the volts on the battery terminals while cranking. if they drop to less than say 8 volts, then suspect battery or starter motor.

Measure the volts between engine block, & the starter motor live terminal. I less than the reading above by more than 2V, then starter is probably OK.

Measure the volts between engine block and Battery (ground terminal) when cranking. If volts larger than 1V then you have one or more high resistance connections between battery earth terminal to body, body to chassis, or chassis to engine.

Measure the volts between battery live, and starter motor live terminal when cranking. If volts larger than 1V, then look for high resistance connections on battery to solenoid, solenoid to motor.

Measure voltage across the two solenoid terminals when cranking, more than 1/2V means solenoid need servicing.

Good luck !

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

My TR4 is a very slow starter- even with a brand new battery

When turning over on initial start up it sometimes almost comes to stop mid churn before turning over again, although it always starts after a couple of slow rotations, its been like this for four years!

Ive checked all the earth straps / connections and they appear fine

is there anything else I can do / check before I remove the starter itself (and do I need to remove the exhaust to do this)

The PO told me he had replaced the starter just before I bought it as it wasn't working properly - although the starter didn't look new or reconditioned. Maybe the starter was replaced with a good one and the fault lies elsewhere, or maybe it wasn't replaced at all.

Thanks

Stuart

HI Stuart I had a similar issue and was resigned to getting a new started (£175 :() , but I replaced the earth straps between Battery and body, engine and chassis, but also added an extra earth strap between the battery and the block as the only connection between the two are the rusty bolts connecting the body to the chassis.

Massive difference, engine spins over very fast, much as I'd expect, cost about £30 from Halfords for the various lengths of lead.

Mark

20 yrs ago the slow starter on mine turned out to have almost no bearings...the armature was touching the field coils...it was full of swarf...but it still turned slowly although the main battery cable did smoke a lot.

So I would try jump leads to starter directly from fresh battery, if its still slow then its time for surgery. They are easily fixable and can stand a lot of abuse..suggest fix & not replace with a fragile modern reduction type.

This:

"When turning over on initial start up it sometimes almost comes to stop mid churn before turning over again,"

Can be the result of overadvanced ignition.

My similar problem was a combination of weak battery . Earth lead block to chassis and solenoid try starting from under bonnet by manually activating solenoid. Or short terminals on solenoid to start, but if you do this be prepared for sparks and adjacent fuel .