Gearbox oil leak

Hi All (again)

Got the top off the gearbox in what might be a futile attempt to stem the flow of oil past the O rings on the three selector shafts. The plugs holding in the springs and balls which locate in the shaft indents have holes in them, so have been previously removed using a self tapper and lever. (See pics)

I am reluctant to repeat this process as I may stretch the holes to a point where they won't retain the spring and ball. Anyone know of a source for replacement plugs? All of our usual TR suppliers list these parts as no longer available.

I know these plugs gave been replaced with screw in type plugs ie similar to grub screws, but this needs the holes tapped and of course a source for the grub screws. Any info here would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

TonyC

post-11495-0-22666300-1458669438_thumb.jpg

post-11495-0-10385700-1458669481_thumb.jpg

Hi Tony,

when I did my 4A GB last November I found that the 'new' 'O' rings were not an enthusiastically good fit - the ID and OD could have been better.

Also the counterbore they sit in is far deeper than the thickness of the 'O' ring. So, as you move the selector rods the rings slide back and forth !!!!

I made my own 'O' rings from a slightly thicker gauge ring and super glued them together. I then turned up a thin washer that then packed out the counterbore sufficiently to hold the rings nicely.

The selector moves in the ring but the ring doesn't move in the housing.

Sadly I have no engine to test the GB on - still waiting. My promise of last Friday has changed to this Thursday; maybe.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, thanks for all input gratefully accepted. Got the plugs, at least in the mail, so getting ready for the job, but I see that in new Moss catalogue they offer a complete top cover assembly for the J type box. Unfortunately the one they offer has the two switches ( reverse and O/D inhibitor,) on the top, whereas mine has one on the side and one on the top. Question:- anyone know if they are interchangeable?

Thanks,

TonyC