Fuel Tank Vent Pipe

Fuel tank in. All nicely lined up and straps holding it all firmly.

Can any one tell me which side of the handbrake cable does the fuel tank vent pipe sit? Forward or behind? Is there meant to be one of those fuel line clips attaching the pipe anywhere either to the body or chassis?
Thanks
Jim

There is a Banjo fitting on the top end of the overflow fuel pipe and the pipe curves to the right side and down beside the right end of the fuel tank. At the bottom, there is a black rubber (or other) tubing that continues down to below the frame. This hose is usually secured to a spring clip on the out-board side of the frame. That's far away from the handbrake cables etc.

The photo is from a late (post TS-60000) TR3A but the overflow pipe is the same on my own 1958 TR3A.

post-1056-0-53378600-1458602429_thumb.jpg

There is a Banjo fitting on the top end of the overflow fuel pipe and the pipe curves to the right side and down beside the right end of the fuel tank. At the bottom, there is a black rubber (or other) tubing that continues down to below the frame. This hose is usually secured to a spring clip on the out-board side of the frame. That's far away from the handbrake cables etc.

The photo is from a late (post TS-60000) TR3A but the overflow pipe is the same on my own 1958 TR3A.

Very interesting Don. The parts book shows a clip but not the rubber hose extension to the metal pipe. I'll have to look at my TR3A and see if the metal pipe is long enough to be clipped to the frame or if it would need a rubber extension.

Stan

I added a rubber extension to my overflow pipe and clipped it to the chassis because when I filled the tank for the first time I overfilled it and parked it on a lean to the right . Petrol ran all over my newly painted rear Spring and dissolved the paint,with the extension it's now well out of the way.

Graham

TBH I always thought the pipe was long enough to reach to the chassis and was clipped to the side of it just behind the axle strap, you will see a hole in the chassis there for the clip..

Stuart.

Thank you folks. After original post I had a better look and found the hole in the chassis for the clip. The pipe reaches far enough to be level with the bottom of the chassis rail. I took some other advice and fitted a bit of plastic hose to the pipe to protect it where it goes through the hole next to the fuel tank.

Just need to find the clip. I'm sure I've it somewhere in one of those small boxes of parts. Mmmmmm!!!

My early TR2 pipe was exactly as Stuart describes and affixed with clip to side of chassis.

But in use I found that with a full tank I could chuck out what appeared to be the best part of a pint of fuel onto the road on a left hand bend and the general whiff from that vicinity was strong at times.

I removed the pipe and simply capped the outlet hole on the tank, then drilled a small, probably 3mm hole in the filler cap rim underneath.

Never had any issues, and no whiff anymore.

Regards Bob.

If you use the cap from a 4a (Similar looking externally) then they are vented and you could plug the vent on the tank.

Stuart.

• 4 months later...

If you use the cap from a 4a (Similar looking externally) then they are vented and you could plug the vent on the tank.

Stuart.

Interesting!

I have a TR3A (1959) and complaints from my neighbours about the smell of petrol in the garage. I assume that this is due to the ventilation pipe.

besides, if I leave the car for 3 or 4 weeks when I return the petrol in the half-full tank has lost its potency and the car starts misfiring until I add some fresh petrol.

Now, does this TR4 cap solve the two problems?

Edited by qim

Interesting!

I have a TR3A (1959) and complaints from my neighbours about the smell of petrol in the garage. I assume that this is due to the ventilation pipe.

besides, if I leave the car for 3 or 4 weeks when I return the petrol in the half-full tank has lost its potency and the car starts misfiring until I add some fresh petrol.

Now, does this TR4 cap solve the two problems?

Unfortunately all fuels these days go off pretty quick thats a fact of life Im afraid.The cap may help but make sure its a vented one from a 4a.

Stuart.

Following this thread a while back I blocked up the bottom of the vent tube to try and eliminate the smell. I noticed that the inner disc on the fuel tank lid had a small hole (around 1/16") in it and assumed that would vent the tank. I have only done 250 miles in drives of no more than 45 mins but so far have not seen any issues with fuel supply.

I dont know the origin of the fuel cap but it looks like a regular TR3 from the outside.

Stan

I've seen repro fuel tanks for sidescreen cars that have just a tapped hole for the vent pipe, without the orig extended internal pipe. Meaning when you park the car with a full tank on a warm day, with the left side raised the tank self syphons its contents. 30 years ago C&B had sidescreen car tanks remade to OE drawings in stainless - They were hard to sell as they were twice the the price of mild steel repros that hit the market very soon after the C&B product introduction I know of one of those stainless tanks still in use, in Pat MacMahon's TR3A. I wonder if Moss Europe still have the OE drawings..........

Venting the cap filler neck is a nicer solution, like the TR6 USA car had going into a vent canister. Then if the car is inverted, the fuel does not dribble out of the filler cap vent & down your neck.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the input.

Are you sure that by fitting the vented TR4 cap I can SAFELY block the tank's own vent (the pipe that goes down from the top)?

Read my post carefully, I said the vented 4a cap.

Stuart.

So would something like this stop the garage smelling of fuel but maintain the tank vent function and added safety ?

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/roll-over-valve-in-line-with-5-16-8mm-push-on-tails-m-trl88

stuart, on 25 Mar 2016 - 5:33 PM, said:

Stuart.

Having decided to go for the TR4A cap I am starting to wonder if it will solve the smell problem. After all, I will be blocking the tank vent on one end and creating another on top from where smell will emanate.

of course, blocking temporarily the vent in the cap is a lot easier than getting under the car every time you leave it in the garage for a few days.

What do you think?

qim

So would something like this stop the garage smelling of fuel but maintain the tank vent function and added safety ?

https://www.merlinmo...n-tails-m-trl88

Hamish

I've been looking at this, and even though I am not certain that it would solve the smell problem, there is another issue:

If it prevents fuel to escape, as it says in the accompanying text ( a positive shut off to prevent fuel escape due to splashing or roll over. This is achieved by a two ball system), then the breather pipe is going to get full of petrol and stop being a vent causing the fuel not to leave the tank.

Do you agree?

Edited by qim