Rack and pinion conversion

Would anybody be able to recommend a rack and pinion conversion, looking to convert a LHD 3 to RHD, and since the LHC is paying for the car she insists on being able to park it. (which will be a bl**dy miracle as she can't park her car now with power steering, parking sensors and a reversing camera!) I am aware that there will be the domino effect of doing this Ie electric fan, probably requiring an alternator that will require a +ve earth to -ve earth changeover, then the indicator/horn issue to address Etc but reading the threads there are a number of suppliers and it would appear some better than others but I've been unable to ascertain which is the best one to have.

ATB Graham

Edited by Graham

Hi Graham ~

I fitted a R & P conversion to my 3A. I used a Mk.2 Mini Cooper indicator/dip/horn switch

which is self cancelling. I also retained the centre horn push so I've got the best of both worlds.

If you'd like some photo's of the Mini switch set-up then please PM me your eMail address.

Cheers ~

Tom.

I did such a conversion but LHD some time ago.

It was a BASTUCK set, all worked well, the owner

removed the front, I did the rest.

As it was the 0 degree caster axle and had a big

steering wheel fitted it was easier to turn like a

normal modern car with PAS. So there is hope

for the WAF (wife-approval-factor)

There have been a few threads on this subject in recently. I would second Drewmotty's remarks on the Revington one which requires some welding although is apparently reversable. I'm very pleased with my setup. My biceps have diminished, the car goes where you point it and bump steer is a thing of the past.

james

The Revingtons kit is a weld on one and is irreversable. It is good but takes a lot of setting up and is far easier done with the body off. I have fitted both Moss kits and TR Bitz ones (I believe the TR Bitz one is a Bastuck kit) I find the Moss one a bit flimsy.so would go with the TR Bitz one again. All of them do take careful setting up to get the best out of them.

Stuart.

The sidescreen TR has a very large turning circle (for such a small car) and some of the R&P conversions only increase the turning circle further. One should ask the various suppliers for this information, preferably in writing!

Ian Cornish

. All of them do take careful setting up to get the best out of them.

Agree, I found out that lowering or lifting the rack just 10mm makes a

clear noticeable difference in driving what especially on cornering is noticed.

So a precise fitting is necessary and also same things done on both sides.

I did not have the feeling that after swap there are problems with the turning circle

although I must admit that I did not drive the car before swap.

In Germany you would run into a lot of problems when welding at the frame.

Minimum would be to have a certificate from the welder but when referring

to the steering the German TÜV will become really nervous with such things.

Hi graham,

I have the Remington kit fitted to my early TR2 and fitted the mini stalk like Tom. I have indicators, horn and dip/main beam on the stalk that I find very convenient, also an mgb gt LHD cowl will fit over the gubbins making it look very neat. Some cutting/fettling may be required but overall very satisfactory.

Although you will need an electric fan, you can keep your Dynamo and wide belt if you wish..

Regards Bob.

Hi,

Mine has a Revington kit, which they fitted for my dad about 7 uears ago, when he owned the car. I drove it before and after. It is very noticeably easier to turn at low speeds, but when going along I don't notice much difference when cornering, so I'm not sure it transforms bump steer etc., but then I am generally very happy with the handling, it is a different driving experience to daily drivers, but it inspires enough confidence to drve with a bit of verve! However, I do notice it goes where you point it more in a straight line, with less wandering.

The downside is definitely losing the indicator / horn arrangement. I am fine with the electric fan, in fact prefer knowing it is there to kick in if needed. I have an appallingly ugly white stick affair for my horn push, it has a funny spring connection to the dash, sticking out from the RH side of the dash, the indicators are a quaint Morris minor-like turn switch, not self-cancelling. But there are threads on here about re-using Mini indicator stalks, which is a good idea, if you are concerned about that. I have grown to like my indicator arrangement, but should do something about the hideous horn knob.