Spin on oil filter adaptor problems

Hi All,

At the same time I did an oil change I though it might be a good idea to fit the spin on oil filter adaptor, which I got from Moss. Unfortunately it has ended up as a bit of a disaster as I couldn't seem to get it to seal properly between the adaptor and the engine block. I've tried it twice now and given up and gone back to the original housing/fliter element after losing several litres of oil on the garage floor!

Anyone else had this problem? It just didn't seem to be sealing at all and oil poured out from everywhere around the joint despite the rubber seal. It seems that no matter how hard you tighten the bolt it doesn't bring the adaptor down far enough to seal.

Also on closer inspection it seems my block has the feature mentioned in the Moss leaflet supplied with the adaptor but I can't really see how this impedes sealing.

Hopefully I can get my money back which I'll have to use to replace all the new oil I lost!

Cheers Darren

Not had that problem Darren, hope you get it sorted.

Once you do I recommend the K&N oil filers, good quality and a nice nut on the end which makes removal super simple.

Steve

Hi Darren,

Yes there was a problem with these Oil Filter Adaptors but I thought that this problem was long gone, as the design was modified. Mocal who manufacture these for Moss are just up the road from Moss! You did replace the large rubber O Ring in the block? Which I think you are referring to where the oil is coming out. Also you must make sure that the adaptor is centred properly and is entering the round slot to seal on the large O Ring. It is very easy to have it go off centre and not seal although the mounting bolt is tight?

Good Luck,

Bruce

Hi Darren,

Yes there was a problem with these Oil Filter Adaptors but I thought that this problem was long gone, as the design was modified. Mocal who manufacture these for Moss are just up the road from Moss! You did replace the large rubber O Ring in the block? Which I think you are referring to where the oil is coming out. Also you must make sure that the adaptor is centred properly and is entering the round slot to seal on the large O Ring. It is very easy to have it go off centre and not seal although the mounting bolt is tight?

Good Luck,

Bruce

Hi Bruce, yes I did change the o ring but it wouldn't fit in the circular slot concentrically, so as it tightened up it moved in the slot leaving a larger gap on one side. Maybe there's a slight distortion in the adaptor? But I haven't had this problem with the original filter housing.

Dont know if this still applies but the Local device used to come with two small Prints to go on the central boss. You used piece of BluTak on the boss to tell if the thick or thin ring should be used.
Did you get two rings with the adaptor?
John

Should be Mocal!

Edited by john.r.davies

Darren,

Pete is right you have to tell us what type you have? Because I had to machine off 1.0mm off the centre boss on the adaptor to get the old design to seal but that was over 30+ years ago! They changed the design in the early 2000's to combat this problem now yours s/b spring loaded type.

Bruce

I reluctantly fitted a Spin-on adaptor last oil change...I say reluctantly as I prefer to keep my car as close to stock as possible...but after reading on here that the original filters allow dirty oil to flow back into the engine it made sense to change.

Mine came from the TR Shop and it sealed to the block perfectly...my only gripe was I could only reach the filter with one hand and I struggled to get that tight enough to seal properly, (weak old hand) and it doesn't help that the clutch pipe is in the way!

I plan to change back to original next oil change, to hell with the flow back!

Darren,

Pete is right you have to tell us what type you have? Because I had to machine off 1.0mm off the centre boss on the adaptor to get the old design to seal but that was over 30+ years ago! They changed the design in the early 2000's to combat this problem now yours s/b spring loaded type.

Bruce

I've got the newer sprung loaded type and it came with a thick o ring seal, identical to the one you get with a standard filter. I've had another look at it again and it does look like the central bolt is slightly out of line.

I'll phone Moss tomorrow and try and get my money back.

Some blocks have a deeper groove for the seal.

The spring loaded adapt ore are fine however a thicker seal is needed with the original type or practically one whole seal and another cut in two with a razor blade or scalpel. The half seal going innermost (block side)

The spring loaded ones normally work ok. Something that is worth checking carefully is that you have got all of the old seals out of the main sealing ring groove. You will occasionally find a "bonus" one stuck in the bottom (usually old, hard and mangled) which makes the sealing somewhat haphazard.

Don't be tempted to get all medieval with the central bolt - can result in the centre boss pulling out of the block - which will really spoil your week!

Nick

Hi Darren,

If you want another one of these spin on adaptors go direct to Mocal! You might be surprised at the price they charge you. Also confirm with Moss that Mocal are still their supplier? They may now have gone to the Far East to increase their margins. They have done this on other UK made products. Mocal also do oil cooler kits as well.

Bruce.

Good result! Moss have refunded me in full, they offered to replace it but tbh I can't be bothered to muck around anymore and risk losing yet more oil.

Edited by DRD

Moss must get a LOT of credit for that.

AlanR

For what exactly? -Under the Sale of Goods Act (or whatever it has morphed into) don't good have to be fit for purpose and this wasn't.

It's not the purchasers fault that the goods were old stock and not fit for purpose on the 5% or so of blocks that won't seal properly as the outer groove is too deep for the seal supplied.

This fault has been known about for over 20 years which is why the kits are now spring loaded to allow the housing to exert enough pressure on the outer seal and the inner seal at the same time. The original spin on adaptors simply didn't have the range of adjustment to enable fitting on all blocks (hence the supply of two different thickness inner seals but without any inner seal whatsoever the inner part of the adaptor would make contact with the block whilst the outer seal was barely in contact (if at all) with the outer edge of the adaptor - hence the rapid dumping of half a gallon of oil onto the drive!

I haven't robbed a bank today so do I get credit for that? Moss are only doing out what they are legally obliged to do - refund or replace at the purchaser's discretion.

Whats interesting is that Mocal want £71.50 + vat = £85.80, where as Moss now offer these for £50 including vat which i was considering until i read this discussion.

Begs the question does the Moss item originate from Mocal or China ?

I want to buy one of these in time for my next oil change so am unsure where to go for the best quality item.

Any ideas

Andy

Hi Andy,

I would still go for it and if you do make sure you go for the long filter like the Fram PH5803 as you are less likely to crunch your knuckles when removing it, also it holds more oil.

Bruce.

I put loot onit that there was another seal under the one ye took oot,

Ive actually found 3 in one engine.

the bottom ones get so hard an crusted, it looks an feels like its the blok, but it aint, its olde rubber

Engineers blue is yer friend here, to see if both flanges are sitting correctly, but then, most folk just want to fit things wid oot checking, then complain it no works.

M

I put loot onit that there was another seal under the one ye took oot,

Ive actually found 3 in one engine.

the bottom ones get so hard an crusted, it looks an feels like its the blok, but it aint, its olde rubber

Engineers blue is yer friend here, to see if both flanges are sitting correctly, but then, most folk just want to fit things wid oot checking, then complain it no works.

M

Nope I had a good dig around to check this - I do know what I'm doing!

For what exactly? -Under the Sale of Goods Act (or whatever it has morphed into) don't good have to be fit for purpose and this wasn't.

It's not the purchasers fault that the goods were old stock and not fit for purpose on the 5% or so of blocks that won't seal properly as the outer groove is too deep for the seal supplied.

This fault has been known about for over 20 years which is why the kits are now spring loaded to allow the housing to exert enough pressure on the outer seal and the inner seal at the same time. The original spin on adaptors simply didn't have the range of adjustment to enable fitting on all blocks (hence the supply of two different thickness inner seals but without any inner seal whatsoever the inner part of the adaptor would make contact with the block whilst the outer seal was barely in contact (if at all) with the outer edge of the adaptor - hence the rapid dumping of half a gallon of oil onto the drive!

I haven't robbed a bank today so do I get credit for that? Moss are only doing out what they are legally obliged to do - refund or replace at the purchaser's discretion.

Exactly.

Good version