Certificate of Conformity

I'm wanting to register my TR6 which was imported from USA. Looking into things it seems I need a cert. of conformity as part of the package to the DVLA. Welcome any advice on how to acquire this certificate.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave Crops

My registration of an American car was back in 1995.Armed with paperwork proving importation by the trader and Import duty paid to Customs , American registration title documents, plus a Heritage Certificate ...I had to take it to the local Wimbledon office for a personal inspection of the vehicle.

The young lad had no idea what a Triumph TR4 was but was happy that the numbers ( which I had to point out to him ) matched up to the paperwork.

It took all of 10 minutes.

I'm not sure that " local offices " are around but presumably DVLA should be able to tell you where you have to submit the car for inspection.

In order ... I got it MOT , then Registered , new number issued and form to obtain a number plate issued.Don't forget to tell the Insurance company what you are doing ,switching it from " off road " cover to " on road cover " , no number plate , etc so you're covered if the Police stop you. Pre book the MOT with the garage so Police can confirm. DVLA will write confirming an Inspection date .

I believe the " conformity thing " is aimed at more modern vehicles and European legislation where the Manufacturer can come up with the relevant compliance paperwork. The DVLA's IVA scheme ( Individual Vehicle Approval ) has a lengthy explanatory guide.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

The car is too old for the certificate, it is not required for cars over 10 years old if I recall correctly, so not required by DVLA although if you try registering in for example in France one might be required.

On the registering form a lot of replies you ignore.

Hi Dave

Are you sure it's a cert of conformity ? - More likely, it could be a NOVA cert ? If the car was imported since (I'm not sure here, as I can't remember the exact date) but think since Jan 2014. If it was, you need to apply on line with HMRC. This should be done within 14 days of the import/clearance date. If not you face a £5 per day penalty. Here's the link. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notification-of-vehicle-arrivals-online-service-for-agents

best bill

I am about to register my TR6 that was imported in late 2012. It is not NOVA registered, as I understand there is a lot of confusion with DVLA staff regarding the Nova registration and the dates when a NOVA registration is required or not.

As I understand if you can proof that the car was imported and bought from the importer before April 2013, and duty was paid before April 2013 a NOVA registration is not needed, but some staff at Dvla will still insist that NOVA should be completed.

Soooo, what I got is the "Certificate of Title" from the US dated 29.11.2012, and the C&E386 dated 6.Feb 2013 as date of import and 8.Feb as duty payment, showing that duties was paid into the UK, I will also get it insured and MOT'd.

I guess that will be enough paperwork to get the car registered?

Will be interesting to see what happens as I do not want to start arguments with DVLA staff that "knows it all" and demand that it still should be entered into the NOVA, anyway as I have proof that duties was paid a penalty of £5 per day is not going to be an issue?! ????

And I am not going to include a certificate of conformity/heritage as was the original question of this thread.

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

Have you seen the "Importing vehicles into the UK" pages from gov.uk?

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

John

Have seen a lot of info like that from DVLA, but as usual with information like that it is not clear, like in this case when it was imported several years ago when the rules were different. And when every DVLA emplyee seem to interpret the information differently the confusion is growing.

I am going to the DVLA office in person instead of sending the documents in the post as I hope to be able to easier solve any misunderstandings.

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

I have just completed this process for my TR4a, imported from the USA last November. As has been said above, you don't need a certificate of conformity. I just ignored most of the questions on the form and only filled in the ones I could. You will need a MOT cert., a heritage cert and a letter from the club certifying the original build date, plus copies of passport and a utility bill for the address where you live. My car was placed on the NOVA register when it landed at Southampton, but they missed off the 'L'from the end of the chassis, which caused the application to be rejected first time around, but once I had sent the NOVA letter confirming duty had been paid, the V5 arrived last week.

Hope your application goes as smoothly as mine.

Ray

That confuses me, is a heritage certificate and a letter from the club really needed? I cant find any information that this is needed looking at the DVLA web pages, and I do have the US title that says that the car is a 1970 model.

Magnus

Hi Dave

Do you have a NOVA certificate for your 6 ? when was it inported into the UK ? If the car is registered on the NOVA system, it should just be case of MOTing it and then registereing the car with the DVLA and paying a £55 fee - thats what I'm expecting to do with my car

regards

Matt

Hi Dave,

Matt is correct...I bought my TR6 about a month ago from a UK dealer that bought it from USA.The dealer registered on the Nova system with the dvla as soon as it arrived in uk.He gave me the nova certificate confirming it is on the database and was told by the dealer that once it the car is ready for the road,I get it MOTd,then get or download a form from DVLA ,(think it is V55),fill in form,leave out what you can't fill in,send off with fee £55 and about a week later should get reg certificate with a licence number. Thing is, there isnt a phone to call a human at the DVLA for advice..typical.I dont think you need a heritage certificate.I havnt got one.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

regards

Richard.

Edited by Richard Young

Hi Dave,

Matt & Richard are right in what they say! But I would still get a Heritage Cert. as you may not get an age related Reg. Number!!!!! But this is not a guarantee as we have found that often the right hand at the DVLA does not know what the left hand is doing! If the Reg. is wrong for that year you will have big trouble getting it changed!!!!

Yes they do have telephone numbers so that you can speak to a human person. When they answer ask to speak to a person who deals with imported car paperwork, you will probably be transferred.

Lastly, I do not know where the info that a C of C is required as you have to be ISO or UL approved etc, and this applies to manufactures of newly made items etc.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce..Interesting the possible issue about wrong reg for year.

Both myself and Dave are going down this path at some point, I will give them a call at DVLA and see if I can get the answers we need and get it all clarified...Hang in there Dave will post on here what they say.Might be good for you Dave also to call them and see if we get the same info!

Regards

Richard.

Anybody used the BMIHT Dating letter ? "cheaper" at £23 - but the BMIHT website does state "Please note that registration authorities will only accept a Heritage Certificate as proof of a vehicle’s build date." which is £42 plus delivery

Edited by mattyb

As I said you take your choice and risk it.

Risk it, ok. How can I be a risk, when my car is a 1970 model, and the US title says it's a 1970 model?

Of course I could call DVLA but judging from previous experience and also what others say that's a risk as well because it seems like you get as many different answers as the number of people you ask.

Magnus

People have to accept that there is a certain procedure to go through the get an age rated reg. no and a V5. The Civil Service work to that system, if you try to by pass it you will cause yourself a lot of heart ache. The Heritage Cert. is one of the documents that they require because this is what they have agreed with many of the car clubs or the respective car club's authorised Librarian who can issue dating Certs. This is also to guard against fraud where a pile of bits is transformed into a car or motor cycle that never existed. This is why I stated phone up and ask to speak to a 'Person who deals with imported car paperwork' As these things are a moving target and the rules seem to change regularly.

Bruce.

Thanks to you all for your comments/experience's. Getting car ready for its MOT just have a little

electrical problem after rebuild and fitting of new wiring looms. Will give my experience's on a latter post. Thanks to you all. Dave Crops

All

What about a copy of the appropriate page in the 'Glass's Checkbook' guide

The DVLA accept photocopies of the appropriate page and the front of the book as proof of build date and changed the class of my car to 'Historic'

No heritage certificate, no hassle, no problems

14 days and the amended V5C and refund of tax paid landed on the doormat

I still don't get it, I got the US title certificate which says my car is a 1970 model, why would DVLA not accept this as proof that the car was built in 1970, or earlier, in either case it is at least 46 years old and would qualify as a "historic" vehicle.

Why is it so important to verify the build date?

I am going to the DVLA in person before I MOT the car and get insurance so I can talk to someone and get it 100% clear.

Magnus

Edited by TRseks