Wire wheel style for TR6

The disadvantage of the centre laced wire wheel from MWS for the TR6 is that it does not fit.

Its advantage is that it looks much better than the wheels recommended for that car.

The wider wheel can be made to fit without wheelarch extensions with some tricks.

Anyway, wheel looking out under the wheelarch is not nice, looks like somebody

wants to do the job but can not :-)

Camber must be set very negative and tires choosen not to wide.

The only correct solution is to bring the wheels to an expert and let him reduce the offset.

Result will be like this:

205/65-15 on 6" centre laced:

post-13092-0-68419900-1458290072_thumb.jpg

I tried the centre laced 60 spoke wires but they stuck out too far for me, although I am using 6mm spacers so I can keep the original wheel studs and swap back to steels whenever I like (Still, 6mm is not enough to bring them in under the wheelarches) I have now fitted the 72 spoke wires and they fit perfectly. The tyres might make a slight difference-in the pics the centre laced wires have 185 65s on and the 72 spokes have 185 70s on. Visually you pays your money and takes your choice. I like the deep rim on the centre laced wheels, but the 72 spokes look good too and more like what Triumph fitted back in the day.

20160204_153656.jpg

20160204_153744%202.jpg

HTH Phil20160204_153812%20-%20Copy%202.jpg20160204_153711%20-%20Copy.jpg20160312_161811.jpg20160312_161750%20-%20Copy.jpg20160312_161840%20-%20Copy.jpg

Edited by Phil Pope

forestry%20finished%201.jpg

6x15" centre laced wires with 185/70/15 Avon ZZ

Thank you Tom, That is exactly the look I want with chrome wire wheels. The 185 width looks ideal. Do you know if the wheels are MWS with spacers to allow original long students to be retained?

Regards. Constantine,

The disadvantage of the centre laced wire wheel from MWS for the TR6 is that it does not fit.

Its advantage is that it looks much better than the wheels recommended for that car.

The wider wheel can be made to fit without wheelarch extensions with some tricks.

Anyway, wheel looking out under the wheelarch is not nice, looks like somebody

wants to do the job but can not :-)

Camber must be set very negative and tires choosen not to wide.

The only correct solution is to bring the wheels to an expert and let him reduce the offset.

Result will be like this:

205/65-15 on 6" centre laced:

attachicon.gif205er Vorderachse.jpg

I am not sure why you state that MWS wheels do not fit, unless you are just talking about the issue with trying to fit 205 wide tyres? I didn't want to buy a set of new chromed wire wheels only to need the offset changing by an expert. Unless you are just talking about fitting spacers. I just want a standard set of MWS or similar chrome wire wheels with a maximum of 185 width, so I think that is a pretty normal set up, off the shelf.Unless I am missing something. I just wondered if there were any advantages or disadvantages with centre laced or not. It seems to be just a matter of personal preference from the replies to date. Thanks for your input.

Regards. Constantine

I tried the centre laced 60 spoke wires but they stuck out too far for me, although I am using 6mm spacers so I can keep the original wheel studs and swap back to steels whenever I like (Still, 6mm is not enough to bring them in under the wheelarches) I have now fitted the 72 spoke wires and they fit perfectly. The tyres might make a slight difference-in the pics the centre laced wires have 185 65s on and the 72 spokes have 185 70s on. Visually you pays your money and takes your choice. I like the deep rim on the centre laced wheels, but the 72 spokes look good too and more like what Triumph fitted back in the day.

20160204_153656.jpg

20160204_153744%202.jpg

HTH Phil20160204_153812%20-%20Copy%202.jpg20160204_153711%20-%20Copy.jpg20160312_161811.jpg20160312_161750%20-%20Copy.jpg20160312_161840%20-%20Copy.jpg

Thanks very much Phil, the images and comments have really helped. I had not realised that with 6mm spacers, I could use original length studs for the steel wheels to then be fitted for winter storage. But the car currently has painted wire wheels and I am, not sure about the stud length. I suspect they are shorter studs. I now understand it all a little better. I purchased the car and then came on a three week holiday, not having had time to collect it. So I am trying to sort my shopping list during my holiday. Regards Constantine.

Regards. Constantine

Centre laced are 70 spoke and original wires are 72 spoke. I also agree with Andreas about them being too wide.

Cheers John

Thanks John, As with the comments from Andreas, I don't understand why you state that such wire wheels are too wide as standard, t MWS wheels are 5.5" J wide. Are you also saying that 205 or wider tyres are the limiting issue??

Regards. Constantine,

I am not sure why you state that MWS wheels do not fit, unless you are just talking about the issue with trying to fit 205 wide tyres?

Its because MWS itself and also Rimmer somewhere say

that these wheels only fit with wheelarch extensions.

Main issue is that one or both front wheels protrude under the wheelarch

already with 185 HR 15 and without spacers under normal conditions.

The rims without tires already look under the whelarch, they are 20mm more

positioned to the outside.

As that depends on the riding height and the camber its difficult

from the distance to decide if it will be at the limit or will protrude.

Edited by TriumphV8

You're welcome Constantine. I believe the issue is that the centre-laced wheels have a different offset -i.e. the wheel edge sits level or beyond the wheelarch lip. The 72 spokes sit inside the arches.

That is again helpful as I spoke with Rimmers this morning to try and get the offset dimension from face of the wheel hub to the centre line of the tyre. They did not have this information which I thought would be readily available and a commonly asked question. They simply said that 185 wide tyres are the maximum on MWS wire wheels. I am fine with 185 as I don't want to go wider, but a dimension would allow me to check. But there was no mention of the offset being different according to centre laced or not.

I am very conscious of this matter as my LR Defender is continually mud splattered down both sides, due to me getting the offset wrong and fitting tyres which stick out by just 5mm.

Constantine

Its because MWS itself and also Rimmer somewhere say

that these wheels only fit with wheelarch extensions.

Main issue is that one or both front wheels protrude under the wheelarch

already with 185 HR 15 and without spacers under normal conditions.

The rims without tires already look under the whelarch, they are 20mm more

positioned to the outside.

As that depends on the riding height and the camber its difficult

from the distance to decide if it will be at the limit or will protrude.

Thank you Andreas, Sorry but I don't really understand what you are trying to put over. "The rims without tyres already look under the wheel arch" Do you mean protrude outside the wheel arch or inside the wheel arch? If the rims sick out of the arch before tyres are fitted, that is a strange design! Constantine

Thank you

Constantin, I am German and sometimes my English explanations

are not the best.

What I wanted to say is that the centrelaced wheels put the tires 20mm more

to the outside. They itself are located more to the outside to do so.

What I tried with the unmodified wheels was to fit them without spacers and tires

and let the car down on a stand to let the wheel bounce in like they will

have the position when the car is running.

I could see the outer rim looking from upside down along the border

of the wheelarch. From that I knew that which tire I would fit it will

protrude, too.

I like the wheel filling the wheelarch but not that the tire profile

can be seen from the top.

As I know that all TRs are a little bit different I had the hope

that the wheels might fit like they came but with my car it was not.

Others like the one on the picture above look nice with these wheels.

So it might be worth a try what situation you will have but you should

be aware that there might come up some problems.

Hope this helps.

MWS wheels fit a treat without spacers.

They are 6x15" and look fantastic!!!!

The pic I put up are those wheels with the correct adaptors and no spacers......

Tom

I have 6x15 centre laced fitted to my TR250 with 195/60x15 tyres. I went for centre laced simply because I could run them tubeless as I was getting fed up with the tubes chafing through, I was averaging 5 punctures per year when I was doing 12,000 miles per year.

It solved the puncture problem but I had enormous problems getting them under the arches. I spaced out the rear bumper mountings by about 20mm to stretch the rear wing outwards which worked at the back, and ended up flaring the front arches around the rear three quarters of the arch to stop mud being thrown all over the bonnet.

This was a relatively simple job as I had fibreglass front wings.

I would not go to all the trouble these days, but back then the TR was my only car and daily driver so I needed it to be reliable, and getting a jack under a TR with a flat front tyre is an impossibility!

Neil

When I bought a lovely 1969 TR6 way back in 1991 it had the 6" centre laced wires fitted with 185 tyres (not 185/70) and yes they stuck out too far and looked frankly a bit silly.

They lasted for a week after I bought the car and replaced with standard steels with Rostyles and 165 XAS tyres...... a lot better. In the late 1990's I fitted standard painted wires and they were fine but I preferred the Rostyle look.

I have pics but I don't know how to place on here, I can send you images if you PM me with an email address.

Alan

• 1 year later...

Ive got what appear to be 5.5J centre laced chrome wire wheels on my TR6 with 185/15 Continentals. They do protrude a little on the rear and have a backspace measurement of 75mm. What i find strange is that the wheels have 72 spokes and try as i might i cannot find one to use as a spare wheel.

post-15203-0-12816400-1518798888_thumb.jpeg

Edited by FrankB

Ive got what appear to be 5.5J centre laced chrome wire wheels on my TR6 with 185/15 Continentals. They do protrude a little on the rear and have a backspace measurement of 75mm. What i find strange is that the wheels have 72 spokes and try as i might i cannot find one to use as a spare wheel.

Hi Frank,

Try here

http://www.mwsint.com/custom/FitmentGuide/DisplayEntry.asp?category=87&carId=FG000053&make=TR&carYear=

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Frank,

The norm for the centre lace wheels is 70 spoke MWS, Moss, TRShop all do 70 spoke

72 spoke is available in the normal lacing but not centre lace

However yours does look like 72 spoke centre lace - hmm

Roger

Edited by RogerH

post-6724-0-79693100-1518958036_thumb.jpgJust to stick my two pennorth in. When I bought my 6 nine years ago it was already fitted with the 70 spoke centre-laced Cobra type chrome wires, with 195/65 x 15 tyres. At this point it had 5mm spacers and standard length studs. It was marginal as to whether or not the tyres projected beyond the arches. I have since removed the spacers and fitted shorter studs and this has improved matters considerably, although the lower half of the wings and sills still get splattered in wet weather.

What i will say is that the wheels themselves are much easier to keep clean as so much more of the rim is accessible compared to the standard laced type where the spokes obstruct access to all of the rim.

When the photo was taken it still had spacers on the front but not on the rear.

Cheers,

Deryck P