TR4 auction lot

Either I suspect. It looks like 10K would be a Buy it Now price whereby the auctioneer premium would be partly discounted. If it doesn't sell via this channel then it would go on live auction with full premium.

Several classic auction houses utilise ebay classifieds as a cheap advertising medium for forthcoming auctions . . . . something of an irony when you think about it ! :rolleyes:

Bear in mind here that ebay classifieds are just that, traditional classifieds . . . . there is no 'Buy it Now' or 'Best Offer' option, a classified listing is simply an invitation to discuss, as it were, just as in the days of Exchange & Mart paper classified adverts..

Last year I telephoned a trio of auctioneers in respect of listings of a similar nature, classic cars listed under ebay classified as coming up for sale at a forthcoming auction. Each of the three expressed varying degrees of surprise at my polite enquiry as to whether the cars might be open to negotiation or purchased prior to auction. None of them were exactly polite in response, one finding it necessary to express himself in four-letter terms - clearly they regarded such an enquiry as idiotic, an attitude guaranteed, I'm sure, to encourage any novice potential buyer.

I've not heard of any such cars being sold via ebay classifieds, and in my opinion the listings are a misuse of ebay facilities.

Cheers

Alec

Ebay is merely used as a cheap "global" advertising media by the Auction houses.....ironic using Ebay yes but a very big "catchment" audience....

I'm surprised Ebay allow it really but I guess they just "take the money" and smile

:ph34r:

I suggest we all log into ebay and report the item, their catagory "presale" seems to be the closest to the problem.

It clearly gives a classified ad price yet is not for sale. I wonder if they pay ebay seller fees when it sells at auction, like the rest of us have to.

Note, the "report item" is not visible on the mobile app.

It says, contact the seller. Click on to seller's details and it says the seller is Peter Gascoigne, Barons Auctioneers Esher, but the car is listed as being in Southampton. Wonder what would happen if you asked to see it and they refused to give an address.

Dave

Ebay terms for classifieds are clear enough

Advertise on eBay just as you'd use a traditional classified ad. You state a price, the buyer contacts you, and you handle the transaction personally.

Duration: Most run for 28 days with the option of Good 'Til Cancelled.

Fees: Vary by category. Good 'Til Cancelled insertion fee is charged every 28 days.

Services: No access to eBay services such as Feedback and problem resolution

How it works
Advertise on eBay just as you'd use a traditional classified ad. You state a price, the buyer contacts you, and you handle the transaction personally.
You can create a Classified Ad in the following categories: eBay Motors, Property, Cars, Motorcycles & Vehicles and Business, Office and Industrial

Duration
Classified Ads run for 28 days with the option of listing Good 'Til Cancelled. Good 'Til Cancelled listings renew automatically every 28 days unless all of the items sell, you end the listing, or the listing breaches an eBay policy.

Fees
Classified Ads within the Property and Cars, Parts & Vehicles and Business, Office and Industrial categories will incur fees after the 28-day period should you wish to keep your ad on the site.
See the fees for Classified Ad format.

Business Sellers - Fees for Motors

If you're selling a high volume of vehicles on eBay, have a look at eBay Motors Pro.

For listings in Parts & Accessories, our standard fees apply.

Classified Auction Buy it now

Listing fees

Insertion fees £13.03 £8.70 £8.70

Optional listing upgrades

Gallery plus £2.60 Free Free Subtitle £0.43 £0.43 £0.43 Listing designer Free Free Free Scheduler Free Free Free Add Buy it now - £2.60 - Reserve price - £6.95 - Final value fees Final value fee - 0.9% final selling price (min £17.39 max £30.43)

So there you have it . . . . . . the traditional classified format is a cheap way of promoting an auction, but to my way of thinking that does not fall within the spirit or letter of ebay terms & conditions.

The auctioneers are not circumventing any ebay fees - there are none for classifieds, other than the initial listing fee.

If you click the 'report item' button, then choose report category 'listing practices', then reason for report 'inappropriate seller terms', then detailed reason 'presale' that seems about right !

Cheers

Alec

Jesus wept, whats the matter with the Ad, I saw it as an opportunity for someone to buy a decent car from an AUCTION house.

Instead, all the pseudo Sherlock Holmes conspiracy theorists are proving that they all wish to give the seller a bashing.

He is using his loaf, FMD, not a jot about the car itself, life's not fair is it, or hasn't the penny dropped.

All the info is THERE for ALL to see.

The car looks decent enough Pete, and the estimate is doubtless on the low side . . . .

but it's not yet a car for sale, just an auction notice, so whether or not it turns out to be a bargain the bidders will decide.

If it does go for £10K someone will have a bargain for recommissioning . . . . . :D

Cheers

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

When attending any auction never forget to read the small print, for this auction house, if the hammer falls @ £10000. , the actual price for the purchaser would be £11200.00 when the 10% + VAT buyers fee is added to the hammer price.

In addition, hefty storage charges can be applied if the car isn't removed on the day of sale, this is often the case when the auction is held at a third party location.

All Auction houses are different, I understand mainstream car auctions (BCA for example) actually charge a premium for counting cash.

The term "Buyer Beware" has never been more apt.

I hope the above is a useful reminder.

Kind regards

Andrew

Hi, Good afternoon.

I'm looking at this Tr4 as my next project. It looks very original and complete and more a recommissioning then a restoration.

As a fairly newbie i would like some advise or thoughts on the Tr4 in mention.... As for the seats, is see they have been replaced with period bucket seats. What should be the correct type of seats fitted, Isn't there 2 types?

Regards

Sean

Anyone fancy a bit of fun with this

Guess the hammer price?

Selling prices are so odd at the moment it's anyone's guess but I will pitch in with 14500GBP. (sorry, using a French laptop, only have $ or euros)

Steve

Hi, Good afternoon.

I'm looking at this Tr4 as my next project. It looks very original and complete and more a recommissioning then a restoration.

As a fairly newbie i would like some advise or thoughts on the Tr4 in mention.... As for the seats, is see they have been replaced with period bucket seats. What should be the correct type of seats fitted, Isn't there 2 types?

Regards

Sean

Sean,

You have a PM.

Look for it at top right hand corner of page - it should be highlighted.

Regards, Richard

Given the commission # CT11808 the original seats should be type 2 - with folding back- fitted on the TR3A/B and TR4 until body # 15076 CT (Bill Piggott). Although there's no "matching" between com# and body# there"s a loose connection and the body # will most likely before #15076.

As for the seats, is see they have been replaced with period bucket seats. What should be the correct type of seats fitted, Isn't there 2 types?

Regards

Sean

Sean,

There are three types of TR4 seat.

The first fitted up to (about) body #15076CT (about November 1963),

a second type fitted for a few thousand cars only before the third type

fitted to the end of production.

Moss parts book have these listed and identified.

This car, being 1963, would probably have been the third type, but

would be the second type if it was an early 1963 car and could even

have the TR3/3A/3B type if there was a delay in first registration.

AlanR