Thanks Alan - as you may suspect I can't get enough of Doretti information, especially current stuff. The chopped windscreen does look nice (as it does on a sidescreen TR), but it just seems a bit much to me. I guess if you have both a standard and a chopped screen and can swap back and forth it is a bonus for sure. I searched for other photos but no luck - did you attend?

Cheers

Dan

The original Doretti windscreen was unusually efficient, but then designer Frank Rainbow was an experienced aerodynamicist . . . . .

Anything over 30mph and the rain swept just over your head with the hood down, even driver and passenger's 'outer' arm stayed reasonably dry - I once drove back from Lydden circuit to Brighton in pouring rain all the way, and it wasn't worth stopping to put the hood up given that we were clogging on trying to keep up with my pal's RS Carrera in front.

Compared to a TR the aerodynamics were generally superior. One quiet Sunday early morning I got pulled over on the M23 by a couple of bobbies in a MGB GTV8, their vascar had clocked me at 108mph. They weren't too worried, more interested in what the car was. One of them then had a go in the Swallow, pedal to the metal, whilst his partner followed in the MG. I never did get the actual figure, and the Doretti speedo was dancing around a bit, only that " at 108 you weren't trying hard enough sir " . . . . . it must have been knocking on for 120. The engine was tweaked, need I add, and no overdrive to sap power.

Cheers

Alec

Rainex can tell you where/what your airflow is like... in the rain of course!

I made and fitted a clear acrylic bug deflector to the bonnet to try and see what effect it had. By heat bending the ends of the final design it just hooked around the sides of the bonnet

about a third of the way up. The effect on bugs was interesting. With a small adjustments I could "trim" the death line on the screen!

This worked well on local UK night forays but on a slightly "quicker than usual" trip to Le Mans it performed perfectly until about midnight/1am when the "big guns" came out to play. At this point I seemed to have a collection

of their undercarriages along the sunstrip line of the screen. After a leakstop and a bit of fettleing this line moved to the front edge of the roof.....result.

• 2 weeks later...