gearbox drain and fill

Bit of a cock-up.

I drained the gearbox, and then refilled it until it was running out of the filler hole. But only took about 1.1 litres instead of an expected 2 litres.

MMm, a bit of digging around shows I should have drained the overdrive as well. (A-type).

So, can I drain the overdrive separately now, or will the new oil have spilled into the overdrive already? Engine hasn't been started since the refill.

Or I can just leave it ?- the old oil wasn't particularly dirty.

Any words of wisdom?

Cheers

Dave

====

Drain both & refill again, clean the filter and magnets in the overdrive sump at the same time

Hi Dave,

the OD shares the GB oil but takes a little time to get through. Simply fill to overflow (allow to level off).

After a run check the level.

GB oil never gets too dirty as there is nothing there to contaminate like the engine (carbon blow by makes it black).

When it does get dirty you are in TRouble.

Roger

Thanks chaps. I will have a mull over it.

Might need to buy the overdrive plug spanner I suppose. Might just run it then check the level.

• 2 weeks later...

The gearbox on my TR4A has started to whine, particularly noticeable in 3rd gear. I know Enginuity replaced the gearbox oil a couple of years ago, but thought I'd try topping up first to see if that might be the cause. Will any old oil do? Keeping my fingers and everything else crossed it's not a gearbox issue.

Thanks. Just pulled Enginuity's invoice - they replaced with EP80W90 in Sept 2011 so will try topping up with same. What does GL4 mean?

Is there anything particularly wrong with GL5?

Dave

====