Original TR2/3/3a Bill Piggott

TR Register Germany (Links) still lists the book on their website (under the members button I believe). I also am pretty sure that the bookstore where I bought my copy here in belgium still has them. Probably only in Dutch but will have a look next week.

Regards,

Rudi.

I've aquired one but not sure if it's  "THE" book. Has  a Surry top TR4 on the dustcover, says it's a 1995 reprint and published in 1991.

It covers all the cars from TR2-TR6. Hard cover copy.

Having said that I understood there was also a version (still called "Original Triumph") covering specifically the sidescreen cars. I have a soft cover copy which covers just the TR4-TR6 also called "Original Triumph".

Can anyone elighten me as to the existence/availability of the sidescreen specific version.?

Mychael

Mychael,

there is the "old" book: "The original Triumph TR", covering the complete Range of TR-TR6.

Later, maybe in course of a reprint, Bill P. extended the content of this book and as a matter of fact, two books were printed. Bothing having the same size, amount of pages as the first one: "The Original Triumph TR2-TR3A" and "..TR4-TR6". Here the cover of sidescreen book is a red TR3a with beige interior.

As I own both books I would recommend to buy the later one, as it contains more specific information and pictures on the originality of the sidescreen cars. I bought the first one in '96 and the second one when it was published some years ago and never regretted it.

Thanks for the info Johannes. I'll still need to keep hunting then.

I think Nigel was keeping an eye out for a few of us wanting the books. Nigel if you see this post please keep a look out for the sidescreen copy for me.

Mychael

As has been said the later edition is better for sidescreens owners.

I'm going across to France on the 14th. of next month until the middle of the following week, will see what I can find. Hey, it's amazing how one book can now use four pages on the forum!

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...

Following the postings on the site about the availability of "Original TR2/3/3A" I have some good news from Bill Piggott about this book.

MBI the publishers have confirmed to him that copies (probably a softback version only) will be re-printed next Spring.

I realise this doesn't help those with an immediate need but the book will be available through TR Register Bookshop in due course.

Chris Cunnington

General Manager

TR Register

Thanks for that Derek, I, for one, will not consider paying such an extortionate price, I'd rather go without than encourage such exploitation!   I know it's a case of supply and demand, but 4X the price is taking the ****.

Nigel - There is a book shop in Lyon that I know of.  They also have shops in other major cities in France where they sell auto books.  You might try there.  I can't find the name, but I know where they are in Lyon.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

Have tried all the bookshops in Carhaix and Quimper, no go. One of the shops in Quimper was a chain and did a search but none in stock in any branch (this was in any language). Guess the only thing is to wait for the reprint. If anybody needs specific information email me direct and I will pass it on if it is in Bill's book. I was only in Brittany Don and regretably left before I read your post.

As a by product - I could get used to the French way of life, I know they have higher taxes and their own problems but they are so laid back compared with us. The other plus of course is the roads and their attitude towards classic cars, so sensible!

Nigel

As far as I know the books are also available via the Belgian TR Register, but also in Dutch. You might give a call to Hugo Smets tel 0032 2 759.77.96

the book shop in Belgium is :Roadrunner tel 0032-11 22.71.39

They only sell motor books.

the price should be around 20 pounds

Jean

Bill has contacted me regarding the non availability of the book. The facts surrounding the shortage are interesting in themselves. Basically they are thus -

The 'Original' series of books were suggested by Charles Herridge of Bay View Books back in 1988. The first 'Original TR' book was published in 1991 and this covered TR2 through to TR6. Over 21,000 copies were sold by the time it went out of print in 1997. It was also available in French, Dutch and German besides English.

Charles suggested to Bill in 1998 that it would be a good idea to split the book in two, TR2-3B and TR4-6. Bill split, reworked and updated the  series hence the 'Original Triumph TR2/3/3A' came off the presses in 1999 plus of course the 4-6.

Again about 20,000 copies were sold. One reason for shortages that did not occur to me is the fact that when TR's change hands books  tend to remain with the former owners hence there is an 'infinite' demand for them.

Now comes the crunch, in 1999 Charles sold out to Motor Books International of America who retain the pulishing rights to the books. The Register bought the last of the books in 2001 and until recently no amount of pressure from Bill or the Register would convince MBI to do a re-run. However Haynes Publishing have got them to do a run of 1000 of the TR4-6 series which are currently available and they are now going to do a run of 1000 of the TR2-3A  series  next spring. They will be in a soft cover not hardback with no revisions.

So now we know. I would suggest anybody interested to get hold of HQ at Didcot and get a forward order in as soon as they start accepting them. Also NO - Bill does not have 50 copies tucked away in a cupboard and like the rest of us is utterly dumfounded by the price being asked for secondhand ones.

Nigel

Nigel (and the others),

the demand is even more than "infinite": When I bought my 3A in 1996, I looked for the "necessary" literature and quite logically found Bill's book. I bought it in 1997, and when 2 years later, the split & improved second ediotion was announced, I bought a copy oh this one too.

If  (I don't plan to do it) I would sell my car, then I would probably keep the literature - especially these were detailed books.

Looking at the second hand prices, I should maybe think about selling my first edition - this could finace the rest of my restoration  :)  :D  :P  :laugh: