Loss of power

It's not the breather. I'm now thinking that either one of the new needle valves is sticking, or there's a bit of crud in the steel pipe that's intermittently blocking the flow but didn't get blown out when I blew through the pipe. The rubber sections are all new.

I'll try the old needle valves over the weekend.

Pete

And the prize for the best suggestion goes to... ... Peter C, for post #8!

I put the old float valves back in - started up, running very rough, wouldn't run without choke. Colourtune in #1 cylinder didn't show a flame at all. Dropped the float chamber on the front carb, the float seemed to be catching on something although the float valve seemed to be working. Took the valve out, gave a pump on the priming lever to make sure fuel was available - no problem there. Put the new float valve back in, float movement was free. Started up an ran properly, down to Tesco for some petrol, then off for a 10 mile run, with no repeat of the loss of power.

So what was it? Perhaps a bit of crud was intermittently blocking the fuel flow into the front carb, and I blew it out when the valve was out? Or is it lurking, waiting for me to get over-confident!

Thanks again to all who contributed.

Pete