Hi all,

I guess like me you have been out in your car today, unlike me you probably enjoyed yourself. I had bled my non existant clutch and wanted to give it a run to test everything was ok prior to next weeks run. After 4 or 5 miles water started to appear on the passenger side of the screen, after pulling up and opening the bonnet it was obvious that it was coming from the expansion tank. I returned home slowly to look further into it. The top hose was hot as was the pipe to the expansion tank but the bottom hose was cold, however the rad seemed to be hot. As some of you know I have had the head rebuilt last year so am desperately hoping someone can point me to a solution which does not involve head off!!

Cheers

Phil

Hi again,

I said the rad was hot, it was at the top where the top hose enters but gets cooler further down. I removed the thermostat at took the car out again with no explosion from the header tank but on my return checked the hoses again and the top one was hot as was the expansion tank but the bottom hose was cold. Has anyone any ideas , are the water pumps prone to failure? It seems strange that I did 30 odd miles in it with no problem two weeks ago then this problem arises out of the blue,

cheers

baffled

Hi Neil,

How or why has this happened and more to the point how do I get rid of it, and stop it reoccuring?

Cheers

Phil

A couple of things, primarily an air lock. I use an upturned pop bottle with the bottom cut off as a 'funnel' into the expansion tank with some tape around the cap thread for a good tight fit. This allows water/coolant to be added above the engine height and clear air.

The other problem, as was my issue, was a knackered heater matrix stopping flow. After bypassing the matrix coolant flow was restored (I took the 2 connections into the matrix and joined them). Once I'd replaced the matrix I put back.

Water pumps can strip their drive teeth resulting in a lack of water circulation. The hot top hose and cold bottom one points to no circulation. Did you run it with the thermostat removed?

I have had one Stag pump and one Dolomite Sprint pump fail (all the same design), the Stag one caused the jackshaft to seize which broke the timing chain and bent several valves.......