I took my TR6 for its first MOT in my ownership. It failed on non parking wipers and non functioning windscreen washers (actually I knew the washers had failed but couldn't do anything about it before the test).

I stripped down the windscreen wiper motor and found that the park switch had failed. Luckily I had a spare which I had purchased some time ago. I had also noticed that the wiper sweep seemed a lees than it should be which was explained by the 105 degree drive wheel fitted to the motor. So with a new park switch and a 115 degree drive wheel all was restored in the wiper department. The washers were sorted out with a replacement pump.

As I was now on a bit of a roll I decided to tackle the noisy fuel pump. This I suspected was due to a poor feed from the tank so I replaced all the pipes and connections with new items that I had collected for the task. I made sure that all the fittings had the largest bore possible and had to drill a couple out to achieve this. I also fitted a tap so that in future I wouldn't have to drain the tank down to work on the fuel system. Once reassembled the pump ran happily with just its usual hum - no more cavitation.

All that was left was to put some in some miles in whilst the sun shone - great weekend and hopefully new MOT tomorrow.

All that was left was to put some in some miles in whilst the sun shone - great weekend and hopefully new MOT tomorrow.

I feel your pain, my wiper motor had exactly the same problem, except it took me three days to work out why!

Jim

Edited by jojim65

Jim,

Used to be you could not use car if failed MoT even if old MoT was still valid, but now since Feb 2016 DVSA has changed guidelines to allow use in the old valid period:-

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test.

But of course vehicle must be roadworthy as always - MoT fail or pass. If it is roadworthy, as above following the repairs, then no problem.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Guilty as charged. Before I drove the car the faults had been rectified so happy to take the risk. However this is still a grey area. The DVSA say the MOT certificate is a legal binding document valid for 12 months. So you can be prosecuted for driving an un roadworthy vehicle (which mine wasn't) but not for no MOT (if your old MOT has not expired).

I was surprised by the self parking wiper bit and did question it. It can be a fail if however if you have self parking wipers and they park in an incorrect position obscuring the drivers view - this was not he case for me as they stopped wherever you turned them off. No problem however as it failed on the washers anyway and all fixed now.

Chris

Edited by TRsixchris

Appreciate the car failed on washers anyway but I'm sure NTC is right, that 'self parking' is not part of the test. Even if it was, you could have removed the wiper arms completely.

My midget ran for many years without parking wipers and without parking indicators. Locks also seemed to be pretty optional. MOT chap seemed pretty pragmatic about it all

Cheers

Tim

Well I didn't really post this originally to promote a discussion about MOT legislation. However all interesting comments.

I have to say that the MOT station I go to is fairly old school having worked on and MOTd cars from the 1970s in the day. They also have customers with vintage and veteran cars (no MOT required now but did MOT them when it was a requirement) and generally fairly pragmatic about MOTs on old vehicles.

There is no argument about the washers :- Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

The parking issue is not so clear cut :- Windscreen wiper not operating automatically when switched on (do not park as required) (8.2.1b)

First let me say I agree with NTC, wipers do not have to self park. However Wiper blades that park automatically in a position that obscures the view through the windscreen are subject to reason for rejection 1. So in my case this should not have been a fail as they could be manually parked in a non-obscuring position.

As for Ragtags comment that I could have removed the wiper arms this is not the case:

General Requirements

Every vehicle fitted with a windscreen must have one or more efficient automatic windscreen wipers, unless the driver can obtain an adequate view of the road to the front without looking through the windscreen.

Every vehicle required to have a windscreen wiper must also have a windscreen washer, unless it is: an agricultural vehicle first used before 1 June 1986; a tracked vehicle; a vehicle which cannot go faster than 20mph; or a vehicle used to provide a local service (as defined in the Transport Act 1985).

All wipers and washers which are required to be fitted must be properly adjusted and maintained in efficient working order.

I could have removed the windscreen though.

Whilst sorting out the parking mech on my car I found a really good write up of the Lucas wiper motor operation:

http://www.gomog.com/BLAIR/tech/electrical/wipers/2speed/2SpeedWiperMotor.html

Regards

Chris

All done!

MOT passed with working self parking wipers and washers. Nearly didn't get there though as 2 injectors decided to pack up. Probably due to my messing with the fuel lines on Saturday. A quick blast of compressed air through the injector a bleed and all back to health.

Chris

May I add a question to this post ( sorry if I'm hi-jacking ).

Would a split/perished trunnion seal be an MOT failure?

Richard.

Yes it would.

Stuart.

MOT testers vary...I had to show my tester how to test the spokes on the wire wheels...not something he knew about !

May I add a question to this post ( sorry if I'm hi-jacking ).

Would a split/perished trunnion seal be an MOT failure?

Richard.

It is not a fail an advisory would be on the ticket.The joint is the part.

Edited by ntc