Angle drive removal

So, first off allow me to apologize but I have searched existing discussions and even though my question is so simple and basic I just cannot find the answer.

My TR 6 CC81751 originally had an overdrive but is now a 4 speed. The speedo angle drive is still in place.

Can I simply remove it and put the speedo cable straight into the gearbox?

Do I just twist the knurled collar off and replace it with the one already on the end of the new cable I am trying to install?

BTW, I am replace the carpet and the gearbox cover and drive shaft tunnel so access is easy.

thanks

Welcome to the Forum Gene. I think that would work but I wonder why you want to do that. The cable run with the angle drive is quite tidy as it runs alongside the gearbox top cover. If you connect the cable directly to the gearbox you'll probably need a longer cable and then you need to sort out how you route it.