Rear inner Wing replacement - Advice please

I am replacing the offside rear inner wing panel. It is a heritage panel from Rimmers but the fit is not the best and I would welcome some advice. For background I have replaced floor pans, inner and outer sills, and boot floor and sides and let in patches to the wheel arches. At the bottom of the B post on the inside, the panel does not sit back far enough to the wheel arch flange and the hole for the seat belt nut does not line up with the insert nut. See the arrows on the picture attached. The rest of the panel fits relatively well so I am wondering should I just drill out the hole in the panel to match the insert nut and weld it in, or is there some fettling I can do to try to get it all to line up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sean

post-12473-0-22884700-1457820883_thumb.jpg

Im sure Stuart will chip in as he is the bodywork (and most things) TR man.

If everything else fits (have you hung the doors, rear and front wings) and if they fit and gaps etc are passable, then Id agree with you...cut the hole to match. Otherwise you have a problem.

From the pics however It does look like its not right as if you cut a hole to match the mounting, then it would mean the hole is off centre to the B pillar.

Edited by AndrewP

What does it sit like around the front end of the arch and down the front lip where the door seal would go. Are the mounting plates for the hood frame in the right plane? If its OK there and the quarter panel trim sits on it OK then fine go ahead and open the hole but I have had to cut these inner wings into several pieces before now to get them to fit. Is the seat belt re-enforcing plate in the right place to start with.

Stuart.

That"s interesting Stuart. I'd say it doesn't fit well anywhere really. It's OK at the top of the door by the deck extension but as it goes down towards the floor it is sitting out proud of the flange on the B post. I thought maybe this was just bad pressing and was considering grinding it back but maybe that's not the way to go. I was trying not to cut it up but I am thinking I might have to.

Thanks,

Sean

One for an earlier car I had to cut imto 4 pieces and add some slivers in round the arch and the top to get a proper fit.

Stuart.

Looks like these pressings are another one that the dies have probably seen better days by the sounds of things.

For the record, what should you use as the datums? The seatbelt mount hole?, the hood mounting points or somewhere else?

Andrew,

I've got the door gap set and I am mounting the outer wing every time to check the fit with door boot lid etc. However with the wing in the right place, the inner panel is still slightly out so I'm still fettling... spent the whole weekend messing with it!

Best,

Sean

Looks like these pressings are another one that the dies have probably seen better days by the sounds of things.

For the record, what should you use as the datums? The seatbelt mount hole?, the hood mounting points or somewhere else?

Fit with "B" post, wheel arch and back panel and rear deck and boot floor sides are basic datums and then the outer wing is the final one. Its not so much the dies being worn for these repros its the fact that they are just wrong. I have fitted originals and they fit straight in but you dont often come across them these days.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Thanks for the info Stuart. I have an older drivers side B post and rear inner pressing here (circa 1980's), and the difference between an original '69 part and it is noticeable...the first thing I noticed is how much deeper the indent is on the rear panel is on the repro than the original. Luckily however I didnt need to use it though...one less job to do.

Sean...I know your pain. Ive spent 6 months or so repairing the B post forward on mine, and no matter what I tried, it ALWAYS seemed to go back differently every time (and Im using 2nd hand wings etc.).

Ive followed a path similar to you..fit everything (inc bonnet and boot), get the door gaps right (so they shut open OK), and then using the B post as a datum (more because the rear wings bolt to the B post inner with 3 fixings), work my way forward.

Im hoping the end result will be worth it!

Good luck and any more pics from the work you are doing?always interesting to see other peoples progress..

Edited by AndrewP