Moto Lita steering wheel

It's amazing isn't it how long the little finishing touches (wishful thinking on my part) take

Today's task fit shiny new steering wheel, not a big job I thought.............but

The Springalex boss part of the supplied kit seems a bit odd to me.

The hole on the boss is rather bigger than the horn pusshy pencil thing, it sort of flaps about in the hole, that cant be right?

the contact on the horn push center thing looks like it wants a wire attached to it, and soldered to the horn pencil?

The whole assembly is still loose even when the big nut is done up nice and tight, should it not push down on the taper of the steering column?

I'm starting to think the original wheel didn't look to bad after all, and if I sit with my knees well apart I can still sit in the car. (MX5 seats)

Any "fixes" for the above problems would be gladly received, thank you.

David

Edited by david c

I'm confused. Springalex are not Moto Lita. The boss should pull right down onto the taper at the to of the column. If it doesn't it's not the proper boss.

Edited by peejay4A

Motolita supplied boss is a B20H, stamped on the outer ring of the boss where the wheel rests. Don't know about Springalex but it may be that the pencil does not match your Springalex boss. On the Motolita boss the hole for the pencil is 8 mm diameter and the pencil plastic tubing is about that diameter. For the contact, the most viable solution is to drill a 5mm hole in the contact spade and insert the top brass of the pencil in it. The whole thing seemed dodgy though and I got fed up, restored my original and happily fitted it back. However, a 16" wheel is rather invasive for large Caucasian frames and with MX5 seats there's little room for the legs while trying to sit in the car. TR6 14.5" original wheel is probably a good alternative when combined with MX5 seats.

post-11469-0-10592000-1457766831_thumb.jpg

post-11469-0-71837000-1457766844_thumb.jpg

post-11469-0-06648300-1457766856_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geko

I'm starting to think as you suggest this is not the right boss for my car, The whole shooting match came from Rimmer Bros. I will talk to them on Monday.

If push comes to shove I'll send the whole lot back rather than try and be clever and make it fit.

As you say Stef the original wheel does make things a little snug in the leg department, but hey ho.

Having just come back from your neck of the woods I can see why you have fitted air con.

Kind regards David

Hi David, i used the Tourist Trophy alternative boss from Moss for my Motolita wheel : http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/tourist-trophy-bosses-accessories-45091.html

during their special offers it works out at half the price of a Motolita - and the horn works well

...... Andy

It's a little while since I fitted a wood rim steering wheel and boss, and I can't remember the make, but I do remember 'saving' a few quid by getting something other than MotoLita. The quality of the boss was poor. I started with a crackle black finish one, then swopped it for a polished aluminium one which was a little better. My contact pencil was wobbly, which was easily improved with a turn of masking tape, but still not great (it mustn't be a tight fit), and compounded by the pivot point being near the base of the boss so the wobble was greatest at the top. To counteract this, I replaced the metal strip on the underside of the a with a wider one, as I was concerned that the pencil could slip off to one side. Stef's idea above is a better one, as it provides some positive location tor the tip of the pencil. The 'bent wire' spring that holds the cap in the boss was ridiculously tight, so that was 'adjusted'. I recollect having some concerns about the splines in the boss, but a few violent hand fittings got it seated nicely on the taper. Perhaps you need to do similar, or maybe a washer under the big nut is required. Whatever, be SURE that you are confident the front wheels will turn when you turn the steering wheel. There's a lot of modern rubbish out there, and some of it's not even cheap...

Regards,

Graham