Great detail in the pictures.

Crossflow head , I could not work out where the spark plugs were ?

I assume the cable under the car was handbrake - plenty of leverage there.

Two starter solenoids ?

Would be great to to se it restored.

Bob.

The two known surviving TRXs were auctioned in 1999.

The up and running car fetched around £13K from an American buyer, the mortal remains currently advertised went for less than £3K.

Considering just how much is missing from this one, parts used for the rebuild of its sister car long ago, quite apart from its seriously deteriorated condition . . . . . I can't see a professional rebuild for £50K, more like £100K by the time so many unique parts have been recreated. Maybe rather more than that . . . . .

And just how much is anyone likely to want to pay for the car if it is restored ? It's a curiosity, no more than that, and I can't see it bringing a huge premium over a 1800/2000 Roadster or a TR2. Even the most optimistic auctioneer surely couldn't expect it to top £50K fully restored ?

And the vendor currently asks $95K/£66K for the mortal remains . . . . ?

Dream on . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

And just to kill off another silly rumour. Some sources claim that the cross-flow head was 'by Weslake', which isn't true. For proof, I cite chief engine designer David Eley's narrative, given to me in a lengthy profile of him published in TRIUMPH WORLD in the late 1990s. He made it very clear that the design was 'in house'.

And, and by the way, where was the distributor on the cross-flow headed car ? On the standard Standard Vanguard engine it was on the nearside, where the twin carburettors of the revised head were placed. Answers on a postcard please ....

Hon. Pres.

Edited by Graham Robson

An oddity may be, but I find that it does provide an interesting window into Walter Belgrove's design philosophies. To clarify, when I say " Design philosophies" I mean the lines that make a particular designer recognisable even without knowing they "did it" . I don't think for a moment that he was trying to make a modern Triumph Roadster, a design he had nothing to do with anyway. If you draw it out simply in "lumps", similarities between TRX and TR2 are very evident. Looking front to back, there is a bulbous centre section flanked on either side by slightly less bulbous areas containing the wheel space. Same with TR2. In fact the TR2 revision of the rear end from the original TR (known as TR1 - sorry Bill) is very much more like the TRX than the first effort. The original bob tail, and the cut away doors were I suspect some kind of order from on high to "make it like a Morgan and MG". Belgrove's problem, if one might make so bold, is that he seemed to like everything a bit plump. Hence the phase I Vanguard was not a million miles away from where many other car designers thought shapes were going after WW2; it was just fatter than everyone else's design. The same can be said of TRX. At the 1952 London motor show there were quite a few open car designs that were broadly similar. Indeed the Autocar's correspondent devoted a few column inches to what they called the "slab side" issue. This recognised the difficulties designers had in getting some kind of style into the side aspect of a car without recourse to swooping wing lines. In praising the Healey 100, he even suggested that MG cutaway doors were dated, but conceded that the Americans liked them. Thus if one takes a truly unbiased look at photos of cars displayed at shows circa 1952 /53 it can be seen that TR2 was a little bit dated even before it went into production and a slimmed down, smaller TRX might have been much more like what some of the "bespoke" design houses were suggesting for the future. Of course not everyone will agree with me...

Nick