TR Paint Charts

Can't help you directly John, but I believe Chris Cunnington is looking at trying to negotiate access for TR Reg. members to get access at some future time, but here's some links for you to have a 'play' with

http://autocolorlibrary.com/acl_files/triumph.html

http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphcolors/#colors

http://www.shcolor.info./

Thanks for the links, but they all seem later than what I want

I'm trying to match a South African re-import which has been wrongly sprayed Powder Blue, but the engine bay is the original colour and could be Salvador Blue or Winchester Blue, but withour a colour chart to compare, I don't know which if either it is.

It seems a pity that nobody in the Register has access to actual paint chipsso we can compare colours.

Regards John

Hi John,

any chance to identify

- via age/ production number: at least winchester blue was available only for the '57 TR3 model and the '58 TR3A model. The later one being discontinued in November '57 already. Probably they ran out of paint, because too many customers bought this colour.. :)

- Bill Pigott: I traced my original colour on this route (pearl grey) as well as the original state of delivery

I'm painting my 3A in winchesterblue: This colour is mixed up from deep blue, white and black: a medium blue (not dark - not lignht blue) with a greyish touch. Maybe this helps. In german we called it "pidgeons blue", as you find similar grey-blue tones on these birds.

The remains of  original colour I found, led me to the conclusion that my original colour was white, maybe pearl white. So the old remains on the car may mislead, as they  may change with age as well.

Guest DSOMERVILLE

I  have  a  Dockers  paint chip   book    . Winchester blue  is  slighly darker blue  than    Salavador   blue   .  Winchester   is  the  nicer  blue   ,  Salavador  is a bit  dull  looking  .  

hope  that  helps  

David

Received emailed paint chart and winchester blue looks close

John,

In respect of any colours on your computer screen, or printed out, are you sure that these are an accurate reproduction of the actual colour you are looking for?

I suggest going back a little and finding actual colour charts/swatches and using these.

Good luck

David

• 14 years later...

Does anyone have a source for locating the Winchester Blue paint formula that was used on the '57 & '58 Triumph?  I have the Sherwin Williams card with the name & chip #, but local SW locations are unable to create the formula.  ICI code is 2922, Martin Senour NAPA is 25430, & Sherwin Williams is ChipT-29, SW Order JO-JK No.8933 & Formula Loc #IC-307.

This was a great color but unable to find it by any of the suppliers.

Thanks!

TR3 Winchester Blue Sherwin Williams.jpg

WINCHESTER BLUE TR3 REAR.jpg

Thanks Iain for the paint names & formulas. 

Not sure what brand of paint or whether these percentages would transfer into a local paint brand such as PPG Deltron. 

I have an excellent car painter here in Texas but needing to provide him with the correct paint formula or something to cross reference to recreate Winchester Blue for my TR.

Steve

I doubt they are useful....% of tints are not used these days to my knowledge.....it’s all weights. 

I have a very good colour chip which I could get scanned at a paint factors for you?

Iain

Iain,

A scanned color chip may be helpful.  Not sure if local paint supplier could match it but worth a try.

Hard to believe that the formulas are not archived or cross referenced somewhere, especially when Sherwin Williams, ICI, & Martin Senour show Winchester Blue on their old color charts. 

Thanks,

Steve

I doubt they are useful....% of tints are not used these days to my knowledge.....it’s all weights. 

I have a very good colour chip which I could get scanned at a paint factors for you?

Iain

When this came up earlier there were two possible avenues

Tom Boyd has a formula for water based paint

Willie Felger had some mixed as Rover Winchester blue

I have just checked the almost empty tin in my garage, and it also lists Rover Winchester blue which was available from my local supplier but in 2 pack only (not cellulose or 1 pack synthetic). Paint appears to be Prospray 2K

Don't know whether it helps...

Malcolm

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Lisa,

After several months, believe I have found the paint formula for '57/'58 TR3 Winchester Blue from PPG archives.  Waiting to verify from my painter that the formula from PPG recreates the correct shade.  Let me know if you still need that information.  

Steve

On 1/20/2020 at 8:45 AM, Lisa Vincelli said:

Hello All,

I am still looking for the correct information on Winchester Blue to give to my painter as well.  Any updates appreciated!

Lisa Vincelli

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was intrigued to see the paint chip sheet and list on this page. My car is a 60/61 3a, and the heritage build sheet lists the colour as Triumph racing green, which I had been led to believe was the same as British racing green. However it is clearly listed as a different colour as both appear on the sheet and look very different, although there is a slight discrepancy in the years. I am going to get some paint tomorrow to spray the underside of the car so will have to see what I am able to find out, although from what I can tell on the computer screen it looks very similar to Valencia blue as used on Heralds and Vitesses in the 60s. I have put a picture on which although the paint is badly oxidised does seem to have a bluish tint to it.

DSC00493.JPG

Hi All,

See this link to the TR Register France paint chart which was sourced, as the heading to the chart states, from Bob Coe of Nexa Autocolour (ex ICI Autocolour, Canada). It states they are the original colours used by BL for the Triumph range.

http://www.trregisterfrance.com/meca/paint.htm

Cheers,

JeffR