Hi Guys,

I've been looking at a 1954 TR2 with the intention to buy it,car number in the early 300's, but what i would like to know is, at what point did the TR2 go from long door to short door ? as this car has short doors, could this be wrong ? or maybe the car was restored with the incorrect doors ?

Change from long door to short door occurred in October 1954 at comm number TS4002.

First car in 1954 was TS306L built 01/01/54.

(Ref Bill Piggotts Book)

Cheers

Ade

Edited by AJ2014

FWIW back in the day an awful lot of long door cars were converted to short doors anyway so its not unusual. You`ll soon find out why when you start using one.

Stuart.

So guys, if the car i'm looking at should have been a long door, i,e not correct for its year because its got short doors, would that "mug" it ? or devalue it for want of a better word.

Also, one more question, were LHD cars less desirable ?

Hello Bill,

I would say it definately will have an impact on the value to the original purist.

The LHD - RHD thing on the sidescreen cars is less important now but will still have some impact on the price....

Only my opinion not necessarily gospel...

:ph34r:

If it helps, I would quite like a TR2. If I was to buy one, I'd pay a premium for a long door, even considering the disadvantages with pavements. I'd also pay a premium for a RHD, especially if it's an original UK car.

On the other hand, I wouldn't expect to get the RHD premium back necessarily if I went to sell it as there seems to be lots of demand abroad for LHD cars.

Am I correct in saying that aside from the doors themselves, the only difference in the shell itself (aside from the evolutionary changes) is that the short door cars have the outer sill in place.

Meaning, that if you have what should be a long door and wish to take it back to original, you would remove the outer sills, and fit the correct doors (if you can locate some)? Simples right?

Am I correct in saying that aside from the doors themselves, the only difference in the shell itself (aside from the evolutionary changes) is that the short door cars have the outer sill in place.

Meaning, that if you have what should be a long door and wish to take it back to original, you would remove the outer sills, and fit the correct doors (if you can locate some)? Simples right?

Correct, In fact you could make a long door out of a short door fairly easily too if you couldnt find an original door.

Stuart.