Hi Folks,

yesterday a friend gave a talk to a local group about his recent engine rebuild (he didn't buy a shed).

One of the pictures showed the pistons that came out. They had the normal three rings at the top but also had an extra ring at the bottom of the skirt.

Anybody come across this before or know what it could have been from.

Roger

Yes Roger, oil scraper rings at the bottom of the piston are fairly common on diesel engines. Knowing where the TR engine is derived from it's no real surprise.

Roger like this one £100 prize for the person to identify any TR fitted with one though !

ATB Graham

post-7429-0-18806600-1457036415_thumb.jpg

Lets just say it's out of something a bit bigger and heavier than a TR !

ATB Graham

i bought an engine out of a Standard Vanguard at a scrap merchant in the late seventies, it had a high port head and these fancy 4 ring pistons which I used for a while.

Michael

Edited by MichaelH

This may be the Vanguard Sportsman piston. They were sold in the 70's and I know of at least one person who fitted them to a TR. 2088cc and thought to be less robust than standard but with a useful cheap capacity increase. I think that maybe Buckles sold them for a while.

Keith

Well to put you all out of your misery its not a Merlin piston but its the same dimensions, its actually out of a Rolls Royce (Rover) Meteor engine and from what i think is the date stamp in the crown its from a Centurion Tank

ATB Graham

Think you may find it for marine use?

Neil,

Are you suggesting they are fitted to engines exclusively for marine use?

Pistons with a secondary oil control ring below the gudgeon pin are far from uncommon and can be found in a variety of engines designed for use in any environment. I've just completed a rebuild on a 40yr old Dorman 12QT in use as a generator, it had the secondary ring, nothing to raise an eyebrow at, just what the designer perhaps thought best.

Richard.