Carb air filter / heat shield query

The shiney new refurb'ed carbs are on their way home (woohoo)

(then just got to test fit, get manifold coated (if I can be bothered), fit new exhaust, take fuel tank out and POR15 slosh / coat it, renew fuel lines, etc etc etc !!!!)

As a reminder, I have HS6's on a 4a 307455 manifold (on a 3A mongrel)

Air Filter

Scanning previous posts, I seem to have two options with K&N's

9096 (standard centre hole pancake)

9327 (cone) as fitted to TuRK ?

Does either shape have advantage over t'other ?

Does the bottom offset of the 9327 still miss the bonnet (my current are offset to the side only ?)

Heat Shield

Is there a heat shield for this set up, or is it a case of getting a sheet of alli and some tin snips !

Thanks as always

D9372F59-26E0-427A-950E-471A8B5DB1F0_zps

5AE9A729-FB74-4991-8B44-DBE0A705174D_zps

Edited by McMuttley

Au7stin

I have just had exhaustive talks with Andrew on this matter, and although we both have HS6´s on a TR 4 manifold,I have offset pancake K&N´s as opposed to his conical ones, and I have at least 3/4" clear gap on the front one to the inner wall.

Dave

Thanks Dave

Confucinkly K&N's advice is....

"For the HS6 carb we have a few different options, if you type the part number into our website, you should be able to see the item.

The following items are round units (150mm diameter) with a centre hold
56-9096 54mm height
56-9097 63mm height
56-9098 83mm height
We also do a round unit (150mm diameter) with an offset hole 56-9132 45mm height"

????
ps
phwoooaaaaar
IMG_8657_zpsnhkjkuhf.jpg
IMG_8656_zpsoacazucu.jpgaaa

Awfully blingy carbs there, Austin! If you keep that standard up for the rest of Olde Smokey's remediation, it'll be a transformed TR.

FWIW, and in my opinion, K&N is a completely overrated product. I've had them on cars before, sometimes bought and sometimes inherited. They're no better than anything else as far as I can tell, and quite likely worse in filtration if one believes a number of online tests. Buy them 'cause they fit, I guess, but don't expect anything special from 'em.

Noted Don ... and they seem to be treble the price ! but obviously I don't want anything so ugly as Bob's :P

Joe Alexander sells various carb bits that might give you some ideas, Austin.

Here's his TR4 manifold/carburettor heat shield:

http://www.the-vintage-racer.com/index.php/categoryhome/carburetor-components/product/34-tr4-heat-shield

TR3TR4HS1combined-500x500.jpg

Here are his shorty velocity stack filters:

http://www.the-vintage-racer.com/index.php/categoryhome/carburetor-components/product/38-kvs-fil

KVS-FIL%20(1)-500x500.jpg

oh - ok - they are as they were - but maybe that is not a good thing ????

What I meant was The front one would normally have two petrol pipes, one in from the pump, & one out to the other carb (see my photo above)

Some go further (I did) & buy the later sort with an overflow pipe as well, to take any surplus fuel down to road level, instead of spilling all over the exhaust.

Also the pipe connecting the two carbs should pass outboard of the carbs, not over the manifold.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Austin

In don´t have any heat shields on my carbs but my exhaust pipes are very thickly lagged.

I am contemplating putting a shield in over the alternator as suggested on this forum, but when I got home the other day I inspected it for heat and found it O.K. The other alternative maybe to redirect the cold air piping in from the front ducting towards the alternator to give extra cooling.

As far as the merits or otherwise of the K&N´s, speak as you find I say, mine work perfectly and look better than the standard TR4 type.

I agree with the comments re the float bowl tops, I must get new ones as my front one does not have a supply outlet to the rear one, so I had to install a tee piece in the supply line for the purpose, but it does look a bit clumsy. But for a bit of bling, I must get a pair of those brass topped plungers, mine are black plastic.

Dave