Replacement Battery

Am I missing something ?

I have decided to replace the battery on my car as it is displaying the exact starting symptoms as in the recent PI article in TR Action.

My problem is that all of the batteries I have looked at have the +ve terminal on the right & the -ve terminal on the left. (as you look a the battery from the front). My car has the terminals the other way round. Is this normal ?

I can't put the battery in 'back to front' as the cables would not be long enough.

Is it possible to get car batteries with the terminals the other way round ?

Cheers

Mine is a Bosch.

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/bosch-075/

The earth, negative is on the nearside/passenger side.

Fits really well and sits in a plastic tray which was on the car when I bought it.

I fitted a Halfords HBC072 to my TR6 about 7 years ago. Very impressed, it holds its charge well and the high cold cranking current always starts the car easily , even after standing for a month.

Nigel

I have just fitted a new Bosch battery, the old one was just under four years old and was replaced under warranty.

The negative battery terminal has an isolator, when I turn the isolator on ,without the ignition being on, I can hear a slight intermittent quiet whirring noise from the nearside rear in the engine bay.

What might this be?

The previous owner said to always turn the isolator off after use.

Edited by OAF939M

Battery packed up this week after nearly 15 years of being in the TR6, after looking at the post "TR6 Battery" I too tried Tayna @ https://www.tayna.co...teries-G23.html and used code D2BOYS as Paul - ptjs1 , thanks Paul, I too got 5% discount. A brilliant service, a good price and received battery next day.

The type of battery required is 072 it has the positive on the front lhs.

Vince.

Edited by DIYBOSSCAT

I have just fitted a new Bosch battery, the old one was just under four years old and was replaced under warranty.

The negative battery terminal has an isolator, when I turn the isolator on ,without the ignition being on, I can hear a slight intermittent quiet whirring noise from the nearside rear in the engine bay.

What might this be?

The previous owner said to always turn the isolator off after use.

Also posted as separate topic

Mark, after a bit of research I decided on this one - Exide Excell EB741. CCA of 680A and 74 ah and posts where they should be. Just be sure you don't have an issue with the mounting clamp. If you are non standard here you could end up shorting the posts together.

Hope it helps,

TonyC

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I went for the Halfords option in the end. It seem does to have improved the starting, but it still doesn't fire on all six initially. Maybe something to do with infrequent use.

Hi Mark,

It sounds like another case, of injector drain down, of petrol, by passing one or more of the injector(s) inside 'O' Ring(s)? I have commented on this problem many times! The latest formulae of petrol will attack any 'O' Ring or Seal(s) that is not made from Viton B grade (minimum). I also did suffer from this problem?

Bruce.

As far as I know the original layout was, when standing in front, with the plus terminal at the left. I bought my 70 TR6 in march 73 and it was all original.

At the time the batteries were quite different and there was no problem with the bracket. But now with this layout the fixing bracket comes very close to the terminals, as I noticed in latest TR Action on Andrew's car.

I overcame this by fitting a wide U shaped rubber over the bracket at the location of the + terminal. The chance of short circuit with the resulting firework is in so far very remote, almost nil.

Worth thinking about it.