Help Please - how to fold these correctly

Hi all,

Looking for advice please on how to fold these tabs on the back of the floor pan up around the heel board. They have a double curve and I can't see that hammer and dolly is going to do anything other than make a big mess. Also is it best to drill holes in the heelboard and plug weld the fold or seam weld it once folded. Thanks in advance for advice.

Many thanks,

Sean

post-12473-0-71127600-1456693300_thumb.jpg

Sean

The simplest way is to " relieve " the exposed metal tab , at the apex where the vertical panel bends. So there are at least two to create.

Experiment with thick cardboard and just how small / large the wafer triangles have to be. You're trying to get the cardboard and ultimately , the metal to

"sit down " following the bend , as closely as possible. The very slight gaps you're left with can be easily filled with a short run of Mig weld.

When you think you've cracked the problem in cardboard move on to the metal. Cut the tailors darts ( the triangles ) out and then tease over the main straight run of the tab first. Brace the vertical from behind, either a dolly, flat metal bar or hardwood block , whatever you have to hand. Make sure it can't move and gives support. Don't try a massive one hit wonder , tease it from the 90 degree corner upwards , in glancing blows. Split the bending move in three.

Once the main flat run is in position , knock over the smaller tabs , checking at the early stages whether you need to remove more " slivers " of metal for it to lie flush.

Seam welding is always the MOT man's favourite for structural stuff and when you have two joining metal sheets, on the vertical , water / moisture will get in , given enough time. A seam weld , a flexible paint sealant and a few decent coats of primer / paint should give you a fighting chance.

Bob

If I remembered correctly I panel bashed it into shape and seem welded it.When starting from the floor pans and building up the whole shell I self tap the panels and fit all exterior panels on the built up rolling chassis,then walk around and view from every angle

and adjust where needed before the welder comes into play.But then you probably know this already.

It now comes as a huge boost in your efforts .

Well done and keep the photo,s coming.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter