Supercharged my tr4

Hello,

This is my first post. I purchased the car a few months ago. The po had restored most of it over the past few years. It ran ok, but I was having some carb trouble. I decided to order the moss kit. It took me 2 days to install everything .I did the radiator, electric fan,supercharger, fuel pump, plugs, wires, coil,tubed header,and a few others. The install was very smooth. The car started right up and idles beautifully. To anyone considering the kit, if you have basic wrenches and a pry bar you can do it. Ill post again once I've driven it to compare power.

Thanks

Ben,

Congratulations - neat installation. I think you'll be surprised by the improved performance. The most rewarding way of spending two days in the garage in my opinion. There's space on my blog should you want to record your observations on the installation, photos. etc

Peter

Am I right in thinking, though, that superchargers can only be fitted to lhd cars ?

There may be minor changes needed - the air filter and the servo capsule for the bypass.

More here:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/53179-supercharging-tr4/

Slide 14 shows underside of the blower and possible conflict of capsule and sterring shaft:

https://supertrarged.wordpress.com/2015/08/10/iwe-tech-seminar-supercharging-trs-for-the-road/

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Belated thanks, Peter, useful to know it's possible with rhd cars. Back in the early '70s a colleague ran a supercharged Cortina GT Mk 1, went like the clappers and probably faster than a Lotus Cortina, but he blew it up after a few months, ended up dropping in a crossflow engine and selling the supercharger. It was also very thirsty but that was due to how he drove it, probably.

Belated thanks, Peter, useful to know it's possible with rhd cars. Back in the early '70s a colleague ran a supercharged Cortina GT Mk 1, went like the clappers and probably faster than a Lotus Cortina, but he blew it up after a few months, ended up dropping in a crossflow engine and selling the supercharger. It was also very thirsty but that was due to how he drove it, probably.

Modern Eaton blowers are much better than the Shorrocks, Wade, Judson etc availabe in the '70s. Less heat, mechanically much more robust.

And a true comparison is how many over-reved Cortina GTs blew up !

With an informed owner there's no reason why a s/c TR should not last as long as a standard engine.

Peter

• 5 years later...