Top Hose Problems

Having had my TR6 for twenty plus years, I can no longer remember everything that's happened to it!

Several years ago I do remember buying a new rad. Back in the autumn the top hose split so I threw it away and ordered a replacement.

The replacement wouldn't fit - ah ha said the good people on this forum - you have a US radiator with a curved top pipe. Not to be beaten, I trimmed the replacement hose, heated it in the microwave and forced it to fit! Needless to say four months later its split and leaking.

Not really wanting to replace a perfectly good radiator, is there a hose that fits available anywhere? Would a TR250 top hose fit? - though having said that I can't find an illustration of one anywhere.

I could use a length of multi purpose flexible hose but the relative position of the two pipes to be connected means that whatever you do the hose will almost certainly kink.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Chris Porter

Hi Chris

Years ago when I was building Specials and Kit cars, I used to go to the local motor factors (unfortunately, no such thing nowadays) and have a root around their hose stocks, until I found the correct radius/bend/size, usually to be cut down out of a longer hose.

Can you do similar (local Eurocarparts?), or maybe get a 'curve' made by one of the exhaust suppliers and joint with radiator hoses??

Bit like our (TR6) bottom hose concoction??

The other option is a US spec thermostat housing!

UKC5342 - Have fun sourcing one of those, last one I saw for sale was over 50 quid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR6-TR-6-WATER-ELBOW-OUTLET-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-UKC5342-OEM-1975-1976-/172033589650?hash=item280e004192:g:GRkAAOSwNyFWdD5~

Peter W

I would have thought that there would be quite a few of those US thermostat housings around over here as there have been a lot of cars brought back by now. Try the usual suspects. TR Shop TR Bitz TR Trader TRGB etc.

Stuart.

The only reason to change it is if you are doing a PI clone 'look my cars is genuine' rebuild of a yank import. - or it has corroded away.

The US spec radiator is available at the same price (ish) as an earlier model one as are the top hoses.

Peter W