Well the birthday didn't last long !

The lower manifold stud closest the bulkhead had been reluctant to come out.

Been squirting it with penetrating oil for some time (trying to keep it away from the head gasket !)

Also tried gentle tapping (a little) heat and ice to encourage it to move without luck.

So went out and bought a stud extractor, only for it to tear off only half the stud!

4203E31B-CC0C-42BE-AFE8-01C4BA843FC5_zps

2ACFE3C4-BC11-476C-BCFC-772510D93A26_zps

Tried to get the remainder to come out with mole grip, but as you can see, it is just chewing up the metal.

Any suggestions ?

​I didn't really want to take the head off as for every part that arrives, 5 end up coming off !

Weld a nut to the end.

Get it good and hot!

The nut can be any size or thread that you can get onto the stub, even a bit loose.

Then allow to cool, slowly, and work on the nut with a spanner/socket. Turn it - try to turn it - both ways, until you can get a small movement, and the work it outwards, reversing as for a tap every few half turns.

If the threads start to squeal, STOP, it's about to break again.

Apply more heat, penetrating oil etc, ad come back later to work on it again.

You're lucky to have a stub of stud to work on!

JOhn

Well, at least you've found the single best purpose for mole grip / Vise grip locking pliers. Best tool ever made for rounding off heads and buggering threads.

Come on now Don, Austin is a Yorkshireman - and one who's just taken a giant leap up the evolutionary scale . . . .

Be charitable.

Adding a mole grip to the hammer is a 100% improvement when you have a one tool kit . . . . .

Sorry Austin, couldn't resist it . . . . . :rolleyes::D;)

Cheers

Alec

Hi Austin,

don;t let the bu99ers put you off your task.

The weldy nut is best approach - if you have welding kit.

If you can;t weld a nut on then you are limited to the usual stud extractors.

TRY more heat. Don't bother with cold (you can't get it cold enough).

Roger

PS - I could send you a stud with a nut already welded on.

the stud extractor had already removed the threaded part of the bolt before i tried the 'mole strippers'

the angle isnt great for drilling a straight hole for an easy out :-(

i might see if the garage in the next road have mobile gas (they can weld a captive nut on my exhaust bracket whilst they are at it)

It's partly the thermal shock produced by welding that loosens these.

A MIG will work just as well

...Or the electrical induction heating method from Draper

In my experience welding a nut on is the best way and then follow John's instructions carefully the last thing you want is to snap the stud off again level with the head or just inside, cause then you are into drilling a hole and using an easyout and when that snaps (because they do) you are into head off and off to a real engineer who will cuss you for being so stupid.

If it was me and getting a nut welded on was difficult, i would follow John's approach for a day i.e applying heat with a blow lamp, the dribble some plusgas on the hot stud (don't do it with the blow torch lit!) and repeat a dozen or so times. Then file a small flat on top and bottom of stud and then get your mole grips (sometimes this is just the job for them) and clamp them them on, and then release them and nip them up a bit, and then clamp them on and release them, if you can release them with their own little lever "then you don't have them tight enough!" then when you think you can't possibly get them any tighter have a go at moving the stud, I would suggest in first before trying out, and then follow John's advice about wiggling backwards and forwards.

NB. When you come to refit the studs remember to put a bit of coppereaze on the threads to save either yourself or the next owner having the same problem.

Goodluck

Alan

Some years ago when I fitted a replacement lead free cylinder head to my 3A one of the rocker cover

bolts sheared off flush with the head. I didn't attempt to try and remove the broken stud but removed

the head and took it to my local engineering company who had the proper tools to easily remove the

stud without damage.

Tom.

...Or the electrical induction heating method from Draper

Hey neat! I want me one of those!

The Draper one seems to be around £500 whilst there are others like the one at www.boltbusterinc.com for around £300 (in the US)

But don't think the budget quite covers something like that for the just in cases!

Alan

It's partly the thermal shock produced by welding that loosens these.

A MIG will work just as well

I had to do something similar with the body mounting bolts on my 4A. I used a large old bolt, ground the end flat, and stick welded it onto the body bolt. I wound them out while still hot.

TIG welding does seem popular in the USA.

Pete

That one at the back also broke off on a fellow member's low port head last year, we were lucky that on trying a different stud extractor we managed to unscrew it, but it was a close thing. Agree with the welding of a nut idea.

Bob.

Austin,

If the welding a nut on with a MIG doesn't work and snaps the stud off you will have to remove the head to get the remains out.

I have just dealt with two by very carefully drilling out in stages to a dia about 1mm less than the root of the thread at which point the remains of the thread started to turn and I could remove them with an easy out. You need to be sure that you are drilling down the exact centre of the stud and keep it straight so it's not a job for your hand held Black & Decker.

Rgds Ian

Ps after welding on the nut allow it to cool slightly and spray it with plus gas or similar. (The quenching will draw the lubricant down into the thread).

Edited by Ian Vincent

A few good clouts on the end of the stud might help things along. Plus Gas is great at freeing stuck threads but it often needs a long time to achieve full penetration; I'm talking about a few days here not a couple of hours. A plasticene or blue tac reservoir around the stud will help. A hole down the centre of the stud will allow Plus Gas to penetrate from both ends. I like to make up a drill guide on the lathe from a piece of round bar which fits snugly over the stud and has a smaller through hole to keep the drill central. You can feel when the drill breaks through.

Certainly welding a nut on will give you a firm grip on the stud and provide a thermal shock but anything done to help free it up first will reduce the risk of shearing the stud which will usually occur at or just below the face of the head.

Keep worrying it and it will come out. It once took me a week to get a stuck seat post out of a bike frame

I'm not sure if this is a sensible suggestion or not Austin (or even if you have enough access to do it), but I'm sure those in the know will soon tell us if it's not a good idea. In a similar situation (although not with a manifold stud), I've used a Dremel with a diamond cutting wheel to cut a groove, then used a flat head screwdriver socket on a long handled socket wrench to get enough leverage to gently budge the seized bolt. I used some Weasel's Pee to help things along.

No doubt welding a nut on the stud or using one of those induction heating tools is a far better option, but then many of us do not have access to such tools.

+ 1 for welded nut approach.

Just remember if you are using a new nut to lightly grind the surface & run a drill down the nut thread to remove the zinc coating for a better weld.

Steve

if you drop the plated nut in Jenolite, or similar phosphoric product, the zinc will fizz off a a few minutes.

Welding zinc is a fume hazard. But you won't die from just one nut.

You are quite likely to break the stud off at the surface. Don't give up at this point.

Weld the nut again. This time the heat will be nearer the thread.

Confident guys will cut the stud close to the surface before welding the first time.

A bath

EC84A1F7-2FA4-448E-8B51-018847E9CE1F_zps

+

0CFC37A8-69B3-429C-82E5-10FF4F0EFE54_zps

=

10B9DB70-44CD-45B6-B2A7-5CD8AF701C63_zps

Cheers guys,

No more questions, just answers.

(Ps - will the plus gas have dissolved my head gasket/sealant)