Track day wheels

In a few months time I'm going to take part in my first track day, so like a good ex-boy scout I'm already thinking about preparation. In particular, I'm wondering if it's ok to use the wire wheels I currently have on the car, or if it would be a better idea to switch over to the Minilites I have. Both sets of wheels have good tyres on them, although the Minilites have 165s and the wires are running on 195s.

Any other advice for a track day virgin?

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

In a few months time I'm going to take part in my first track day, so like a good ex-boy scout I'm already thinking about preparation. In particular, I'm wondering if it's ok to use the wire wheels I currently have on the car, or if it would be a better idea to switch over the Minilites I have. Both sets of wheels have good tyres on them, although the Minilites have 165s and the wires are running on 195s.

Any other advice for a track day virgin?

Cheers, Darren

Me,I'd put the Minilites on and maybe up the Pressure on the Tyres.

Hi Darren, from a former track / test day nerd....

I cannot comment on the wheels as I have never taken a non-race car/caterham on track, but there are others on here than will advise (tyres probably as important as wheels)

Remember, it is about having fun and being comfortable, not racing, so take the following so far as it may be relevant.

Where ? I have a few Mark Hales dvd's which are helpful, but he didn't do Goodwood back in my day. I also have video nasties of my own !!

On the basis that you have presumably never driven a circuit, the rest of your day will be a far better experience if you had at least a 20 min session alongside one of the local instructors to begin with, even better another (if you are dong a full day) just before / after lunch to see if you have listened. Some track day organisers / circuits are geared up specifically to offer 20min slots (e.g. Coombe). If so, book them in advance.

That way you will far better understand the basics of line (and wont end up chasing cones), turning points/apex/exit point, where and importantly when / how to brake, apply throttle coming out of corners etc. You can hire an instructor for the day if you are that keen (not sure the going rate these days - maybe £275-300 ?) but that might be a tad intense.

A little confidence will help a long long way, for example, avoid you braking way too early (or god forbid too late).

It isn't about race pace or lap times (you cannot laptime on track days), but about finding a rhythm / tempo that makes the lap/s more logical and enjoyable - particularly in a 1960's car presumably set up to road spec.

Confidence will allow you to spend more time looking forward and making / thinking your way around, rather than getting stuck looking in the mirrors, which can be a downward spiral.

There will always be fast cars/drivers, even on track days; but if you are comfortable in your own rhythm and have decent corner speed, they will be patient and easily come by on the straight.

Straight line speed is pointless and dull, you can do that anywhere, it is taking and coming out of corners with flow and reasonable speed that is the fun part of the day. (the number of times in a tiny roadsport caterham we have let porkers or subareas by on the straight, only to then have to push them through and out of the corners !)

However, remember that driving a circuit is not like Matt Monroe gliding through the start scene to the Italian Job (the greatest mismatch of music and bendy road driving ever), but about arriving at a corner with confidence, braking with purpose, getting the car balanced and through and out. If you get that right you are already quicker on the next straight.

If you drive corners well the straights tend to disappear, but coming out of one corner comfortably gives you the time and presence to prepare for the next.

Is it an open pit lane or a sessioned day? If the latter, you may be grouped with similar cars or experience levels and have say 30 min slots.. (or is it a themed day, e.g., MGOC etc ?)

If it is an open pit lane day, shorter stints will help you concentrate and also help the car ! Even on a 30 min session, don't just keep going round and round and round and round and round. If you have a few scruffy laps, pull into the pits or paddock, pause for a moment, think about what you are doing wrong and head back out. Similarly, a few good laps are worth banking, pause, note what went well and do it again.

There will always be one or more corners that you do better or worse, that is the nature of a circuit. Rather than just approaching the same poor corner again and again, each time think about what could be improved, e.g., did you brake too early, then come off the break and unbalance the car, were you too fast / slow in the corner, did you unwind the steering as you came out to hit the exist point etc etc

WATCH YOUR GAUGES.

Remember tyres need to warm up and engines and brakes need to cool down. Don't' go out too quick at the start, build up. Also, don't do ten hot hot laps then pull in and park straight up - warm up and cool down laps help yo and the car.

Roof on - ideally hard top if your have (more about reducing wind noise). Windows closed (or just a gap if you need to desist / cool down. Radio off, phone off (not even on silent / vibration - it distracts)

Fuel - not all circuits have fuel. Take a note where the nearest PFS is.

Tat - remove all necessary stuff from the cabin and boot, you don't want to be distracted by a road map flying around the cabin, or wondering whether that noise from the back is a damper coming loose or just a jack rolling around in the boot.

If you are going alone, put any spares you are taking in a low level bag that is spread rather than a narrow tall tool bag that might look to move. If you are accompanied, maybe your friend can look after your gear. Do not have a spare fuel tank in the boot on track.

Camera, If you have one, mount it safely, so that it doesn't fall off, or if it does, it doesn't hit you in the face. If you are driving alone, a good position would be behind where the passenger sits, then it gets you and the view through the screen. Don't drive to the camera - many do for some reason particularly the younger ones (its not live, no-one is watching and you can always edit out the **** laps !)

Shoes, don't wear wide soled shoes. Feet grow in width as you approach a corner and they tend to look for pedals they shouldn't, so you want to be comfortable - narrow and not too stiff, e.g., enough sole to be stiffish, but thin enough to feel the brake pedal pressure / feedback (I have some size 42/3 kinky red race boots you can borrow if you wish). If its a wet day, wipe your soles on the car mat when you get in the car.

Shoelaces, don't have long shoe lace hoops, tight double knots, trust me, the fear you experience as you reach the braking point only to find your laces are caught around the throttle pedal is......

Again, it is about having fun, so ensure that you are comfortable. You will get hot, so avoid bulky clothing, a few thin layer is better than a clumpy jacket. Ensure your hire helmet if you get one is snug - not too loose. If they have a visor, avoid scratches. If it steams up, lift the base of the visor (and stop breathing heavily).

Make sure your windscreen is cleaned inside, mirrors are set well, washer topped up, wipers clean etc

I could go on and on.

Any specific Q's feel free to pm me.

Edited by McMuttley

"trust me, the fear you experience as you reach the braking point only to find your laces are caught around the throttle pedal is......"

Your first and urgent introduction into left foot braking !... lol

Good listing of necessary behaviour and points of interest for a track day enjoyment.

Mick Richards

Thanks Austin. Lots of food for thought there. Once I've digested it all I'm sure I'll have some questions for you.

It's our own Castle Combe day that I'm going to.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Darren

My view :P in order

1/ Pay attention to the rules

2/If possible take a passenger with experience

3/Start slow and build your confidence

4/ Look after the car and those in it

5/ Enjoy it.

Pic will show you somebody you know and she learned alot

I'd be fitting the Minilites with the narrower tyres. The wheels will be stronger, lighter and straighter and the narrower tyres will allow a bit more feel through the steering wheel and give you a bit more warning before letting go. Don't forget to up the pressures for the track.

I'd be fitting the Minilites with the narrower tyres. The wheels will be stronger, lighter and straighter and the narrower tyres will allow a bit more feel through the steering wheel and give you a bit more warning before letting go. Don't forget to up the pressures for the track.

Thanks Andrew. I was chatting with a chap yesterday evening at our group meeting who said pretty much the same. He races his 3A, so it seems good advice and fits with what I thought myself.

Darren

Castle coombe you say........... a spare pair of pants might come in handy:-) Especially if it is your first time.

The other thing is that CC are hot on noise. When I went a few years back they said I was 4 db over their static limit and I had to buy an external add on silencer from merlin motorsport. The queue for the counter was strangely long.

By the way this is the thin end of the wedge, trackdays are addictive

" The other thing is that CC are hot on noise. "

The circuit management don't have any option.

There is a vocal and influential local minority of objectors monitoring the circuit.

Wiltshire Council are not exactly noted for their enthusiasm for motorsport, and the council leader lives just down the road . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Austin. Lots of food for thought there. Once I've digested it all I'm sure I'll have some questions for you.

It's our own Castle Coombe day that I'm going to.

Cheers, Darren

Darren,

Just spotted CC. I did a 70mph 360deg at Quarry Bend. Spent the rest of the lap, and all day, wondering 'why did it do that?'

No roll cage I see - take it carefully. When a rear suspension goes solid the spin is very quick to take control away... Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Thanks for the additional comments. When I booked for this I was probably taking the idea too lightly, so all the feedback has helped me think a bit more seriously about what is involved. I've read other threads that talk about the restrictions on noise level. My car doesn't sound that loud to me, but now I start to worry that it might be over the limit. I have an iPhone app for measuring dB. Would that be accurate enough for this?

Also, can anyone tell me if there's fuel available on site at Castle Combe?

Cheers, Darren

P.S. I took your advice Austin, and booked a driving experience day with an instructor at CC.

Edited by TR5tar
  • 1 month later...

This might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8GbfZ6t-JU :) Thoroughbred last August. No mike plugged in so have to turn it right up!

Great to watch (enjoyed seeing those MGs being passed) and helpful for learning the circuit layout too, thanks. It looked a bit hairy when the N/S headlamp came loose!

I had my Driving Experience day at CC last Saturday, in the strong winds and at times heavy rain, but it didn't spoil the enjoyment at all. I wish now that I'd booked more than the five "fast" laps that I did, because I felt I was just getting used to it when it was time to come off. Still, it all helped to familiarise myself with the circuit and I'm really looking forward to April 12. One thing it did make me realise is that I'm not going to be Stirling Moss any time soon. On the public roads, I like to look as far up ahead as I can and lift off the accelerator a while before smoothly braking into a corner, but this is clearly I habit I need to get out of for the track, where it seems to be either hard on the accelerator or hard on the brakes is what is called for.

Darren

"hard on the accelerator or hard on the brakes is what is called for"

Got it in one Darren !

Mick Richards

Minilites & larger tyres at 34-36PSI all round; most importantly, remove the backing plates from the front brakes and fit a really good set of uprated pads, preferably Pagid.

I'd avoid "*****Stuff" at all costs, especially as that's a jolly smart TR.

Be prepared to adjust rear brakes every two sessions.

A 5 in standard trim handles fairly neutrally, versus the 6 that understeers like a supertanker, thanks to its front antiroll bar.

Glad you enjoyed Castle Combe, it's a great circuit.

Unless you try taking the crest into Quarry flat.....did that, lost it at 115mph.

Hello grass, hello tyrewall, hello marshals, goodbye full set of clothing & bodywork!

I'd avoid "*****Stuff" at all costs, especially as that's a jolly smart TR.

All my race cars use *******Stuff :) , preferably the yellow colored.

Well I'm stunned, Chris, especially as you guys manufacture Pagid!

Surely you've used their pads?

Just as an example: Spa Six Hours- 15% pad wear on the FIA TR4, RS29 ceramics.

So many people complain about the price, then ignore their remarkable longevity & disc-friendly nature.

I can say that R**Stuff were the worst brake pads I've encountered in 32 years of racing TRs.

Each unto their own! €;0)

I can't say anything bad about Pagid.

They were on the TR4 I drove at the 6H of Spa 2014. They did well but I won't swap my EBC Yellow for them.

I had tested many brake pads but Yellow stuff fits best to my driving style.

I can run a whole season on EBC which are about 12H of racing and my brake disks are now 5 years old and still do well.

I love the sensitive braking with yellow stuff and especially in the wet I suppose they are unbeatable in the feel of the brake and when the wheels will lock up.

Certainly not an aggressive brake pad.

On the TR8 I have not much experience with EBC. The car had 2014 Hawk pads on and 2015 I did only 7 laps on EBC but as usual they did good.

But the first race will show how they do on a high performance car. I assume they will do great.

Edited by MadMarx