Stuck clutch plates

Hi Guys

My clutch plates are stuck together, I have tried turning the engine over with it in gear with the clutch peddle depressed and the brake on to no avail.

Any suggestions with out dropping the gear box ??

Kind regards

Nigel

Is the car road legal?

If it is and you can find some quiet roads, get it nice and hot then start it up in gear and go for a drive. If you can find a hill so much the better. Boot it with clutch depressed.

Alternatively, jack up the rear on a good trolley jack. Get it hot as before. Start up in gear, give it some beans, clutch depressed and get a friend to smartly lower the jack. Be very aware of what might happen to the jack and your friend if you try this. The rear of the car will squat and may drag the jack with it, and if the clutch doesn't free you might be heading up the drive at a rate of knots. Generally this works first or second attempt and all my friends have survived.

Jerry

Find a suitable place.

Push/tow start the car.

Continue to drive about with the clutch pedal down, in low gear, accelerating then slowing on the overrun, rather than brakes. (You see why I say a 'suitable place'? an empty car park is good)

The clutch WILL release! Eventually.

But do check first that the master and slave cylinders are working properly, so that the conical spring is being lifted off the pressure plate.

Good luck!

John

PS Ah! Jerry got there first. Although the 'drop it off the jack' solution is a hair-raising one, and his first, and mine, much much safer!

Edited by john.r.davies

I've tried what Jerry and John suggest - way way back.

It's a bit primitive - can work or can do damage.

But - driving a car like that is potentially dangerous.

Heat is the real key - but you need to get the engine

to max working temperature, wait a couple of hours,

then try again.

If it doesn't free up easily, repeat the operation.

A safer and less damaging way is to jack up the rear,

rev up then brake hard (with clutch pedal depressed,

of course). Still rather aggressive but safer.

Heat is the real answer, though, and a bit of patience

is required while the engine heat reaches the clutch.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Is the car road legal?

If it is and you can find some quiet roads, get it nice and hot then start it up in gear and go for a drive. If you can find a hill so much the better. Boot it with clutch depressed.

Alternatively, jack up the rear on a good trolley jack. Get it hot as before. Start up in gear, give it some beans, clutch depressed and get a friend to smartly lower the jack. Be very aware of what might happen to the jack and your friend if you try this. The rear of the car will squat and may drag the jack with it, and if the clutch doesn't free you might be heading up the drive at a rate of knots. Generally this works first or second attempt and all my friends have survived.

Jerry

From what I know, towing a TR7, or even tow starting the car that way can damage the gearbox - something to do with the oil pump/circulation in the gearbox itself - others may know more than me.

Having checked clutch operation and fluid levels, the safest way is to jack up the rear end, use axle stands, chock the front wheels, do not leave it on the trolley jack alone, start the engine up in gear, get the engine up to temp, depress the clutch pedal and then stamp on the brakes several times, repeating if needed. Same principle as jerrytr5 but safer. If that doesn't work you are in for a gearbox removal...................

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Ian

Ian,

I think the concern is about towing a Triumph with the front wheels elevated, ona 'pair-of-spectacles' tow truck, or dolly.

Triumph gear boxes are splash lubricated, and if they are tipped front end up, all the gearbox oil goes to the back, starving the front gear wheels.

I have to admit though. Tow starting a car that cannot disengage the clutch means using a rather long tow rope, with lots of TWANG!

And you could end up like these red necks:

John

When I had the problem I tried most of the above. Couldn't bring myself to try dropping the jack under the back end but tried everything else. Gave up on revving the engine with the rear wheels off the ground when the drums began to smoke.

In the end it freed off with a tow along a nearby (straight) road, engine previously warmed up, but in gear with pedal depressed and ignition off.

When I had the same problem this year (some people live and learn...) I was lucky in that warming the engine thoroughly and leaving overnight with the pedal depressed was enough to free it off.

The LT77 gearbox will not tolerate being towed for any distance in neutral, as in more than a couple of hundred yards, but you won't do it any harm by tow starting.

Cheers

Alec

But why, Alec?

John

Hi Guys, I've been away from the old pc for a few days so only just read your ideas, yes it is road legal I actually wanted to use it while my truck was having a service :( so the wife had to walk while I borrowed hers lol.

I have as yet not tried to free it up again but will try again this week and let you know what happened :unsure:

Thanks for all your replies.

Nigel

• 1 month later...

Hi again, well I finally got around to having a look at the stuck clutch probs and I took the advice of getting the engine up to temperature and left it running for a good 20 minutes......removed the wifes car and my truck off the drive ;) just in case :unsure: put her in reverse and started her up foot on clutch....after about 20 feet jamed on the brake and bang the plates released :D yeeeeeyyy, this was last sunday so have been driving her to work all week :rolleyes:

Nigel