wiper switch wiring

please have a look at the picture of the wiring on my windscreen wiper motor switch,....I don't think this is right as I only have one speed the way it is.

regards Terry

post-7469-0-21893600-1455276842_thumb.jpg

Hi Terry,

I think the switch maybe needs a few wires moving around.

1 - Black

3/4 - Red / Light Green

5/6 - Brown / Light Green

Regards, Richard

thanks for that Richard,..just got back in from the garage and both speeds now working, brilliant.

very much appreciate your reply,...Terry

If you want I'll send my article that explains all this.

12V on the green wire.

Must GROUND BOTH the other two wires at the same time to run SLOW.

Need to find the right switch contacts to get this to happen.

Be careful, do it wrong and you will burn out the field winding.

If you do I can fix it.

Hi Terry,

I think the switch maybe needs a few wires moving around.

1 - Black

3/4 - Red / Light Green

5/6 - Brown / Light Green

Regards, Richard

This is of course assuming that the three wires at the motor end have been connected to the right ones (three bullet connectors) ... ask me how I know this?!! ...... on my 50 year old wiper motor the supply wires have lost all their colour codes and all look a dull blackish brown!!.

Cheers Rob

• 1 month later...

After helping a fellow forumite it came to light that the information above is not quite right.

This is a diagram of the way a pull-push switch works:

25896842750_69db2384f7_z.jpg

Study this a while and you will see that the Ground connection (Black) must go on terminal 4.

Otherwise you will have the field coil taking current all the time. The motor will work OK and probably not come to much harm.

But some of your valuable dynamo Amps will be running to waste and the wiper motor will be permanently heating.

• 8 months later...

After helping a fellow forumite it came to light that the information above is not quite right.

This is a diagram of the way a pull-push switch works:

25896842750_69db2384f7_z.jpg

Study this a while and you will see that the Ground connection (Black) must go on terminal 4.

Otherwise you will have the field coil taking current all the time. The motor will work OK and probably not come to much harm.

But some of your valuable dynamo Amps will be running to waste and the wiper motor will be permanently heating.

So: for a 2-speed motor: black to 4 and green/black (from wiper motor terminal 2) to either 1 or 7? That is, if this is the switch installed in a TR4 with 1-speed wiper??

EDIT: I just read your document Alan, I have it the wrong way round here above: green/black must go to motor terminal 1 and the green 12V wire to motor terminal 2!!!

Erik

Edited by earckens
  • 6 months later...

31150663083_ecf3f84b1b_b.jpg

Hi Alan, could send me a copy of your wiper/2 speed article please.

My email address is robbeel@hotmail.co.uk, or on 07528023806 - I can call you whenever you are free.

Thanks,

Rob.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/29/2016 at 10:18 AM, AlanT said:

31150663083_ecf3f84b1b_b.jpg

Based on the switch info above, fully out would link 1-4-7-8. On this photo example, wouldn't that mean you would be connecting the slow (red/light green) wire on 7 to the ground (black) on 4. Isn't this problematic since for slow speed operation you need both the fast (brown/light green) AND the slow (red/light green) wires grounded?