Swallows are known to abhor captivity, and this one was tucked away for decades!

28b5a1f1-afc1-4ece-83be-ef3f22379ab0_zps

I have managed to free it from its oily nest and reunite it with TS 1911 LO, its "brother from another mother". Born only weeks apart and a few clicks down the road from each other.

image.jpg1_zpslv9udesu.jpg

Still formulating a plan for the car so I can't give many details or share its interesting history yet, but by any account it's good to get one back in the sunshine!

Dan

It is indeed a very reasonable looking car, and one with a good deal more originality about it than most Dorettis.

I'm fortunate, as Dan has been kind enough to share some of the detail with me since finding this old warrior languishing . . . . .

Some interesting stories behind it, and a fair amount of sleuthing to be done yet, but hopefully one day Dan will turn it all into an interesting account for TR Action.

Meanwhile I reckon he'll be kept busy recommissioning the Swallow ready for the summer ?

Cheers

Alec

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a little more information on the car. It has resided in this condition without moving for almost a quarter century:

IMG_0637_zpsz4df528d.jpg

IMG_0648_zpsqgoadbam.jpg

The car was owned by the same man since at least 1959 when he came to Hawaii with his beloved Doretti. He was a Lieutenant Commander in the US Navy as a pilot and air traffic controller who served in WWII, Vietnam and Korea. He and I tinkered on our cars together in the late 1980s and 1990s, as my TR2 and his Doretti were very similar mechanically. Of course I coveted his car, but the timing was not right until recently. He cared for the car and maintained it well. The car sat for a while and failed a safety check in 1994. He passed away a few years later and the car has been tucked away since. It is in very nice condition, but needs a lot of TLC. First thing is to put some tires on it and get it rolling:

IMG_0659_zps5thlpfyp.jpg

The interior is really pretty nice, probably a "Beatles era" refreshing:

IMG_0643_zpsziytehxr.jpg

The engine is dirty but has the nice valve cover and the early thermostat. Yes, it has the later H6 carbs and some rewiring!

IMG_0644_zpsyd2ddmeg.jpg

Now I just got to get it back to life! It has loads of potential. I put a new battery in today and promptly blew a fuse. Yikes.

P1050289_zps2cvqjkyn.jpg

Cheers

Dan

Edited by 2long

A big thanks to Roger (Pogo) who passed on a nice set of used H4s to me that were surplus to his needs, after getting the same pair from Alec when they were surplus to his needs. Dick provided the needed fuel pipe and banjo fitting, and Alec has also sourced a large pile of items I need, as well as helpful advice along the way. I really appreciate the support from the forum, which is a good example of the tangible benefits to overseas TRR members. A good example of generosity to support the marque as well.

Dan

Edited by 2long

I just help co-ordinate these things, Mick Richards has provided the proper cylinder head, Peter Burgess has sorted it, various enthusiasts at Malvern last year offered for sale the manifolds etc that were needed, Roger has come up with the carbs, and so it's all coming together.

Next task, packing up a couple of damn big boxes, bombproof . . . . . long way to Honolulu, with several changes of aeroplane along the way, so it needs the best shot !

Cheers

Alec

The car is pretty complete, and many of the interesting original bits have survived well:

P1050012_zpsjvjahdpk.jpg

P1050077_zps4rk6sdyt.jpg

IMG_0727_zpsmjs5kdxh.jpg

Other parts are a bit rough, to say the least:

P1050190_zpsiysosru2.jpg

P1050180_zpsnm70wz6k.jpg

This blank hub cap was found with the spare - has anyone seen one like this before? I don't know if it is a special hub cap to go with the spare or something from another car:

IMG_0732_zpsmq4iogoz.jpg

Cheers

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on the progress. After further inspection, a pretty clear path has emerged. Despite the nicks and dents and mismatched paint touch-ups, I will leave the paint as it is. The chassis is really sound, and the inner steel body is remarkably good in some areas, like the floors:

IMG_0809_zpsrwjukw6s.jpg

But it is not all wine and roses, as the battery box and the rear steel section of the boot have some obvious tinworm:

IMG_0807_zpsd1xwm5ll.jpg

P1040999_zpseewcgwe2.jpg

As for the engine, I will switch it to the proper low port head and H4 carbs in due course, but for now the goal is to get it running as is, meaning rebuilt fuel pump, new flex lines, oil flush and filter change, new plugs and sparky things, and a lot of things moving from the closet to the car:

IMG_0876_zpslf5ernnl.jpg

IMG_0883_zpsmrfuzjoe.jpg

One fun thing has been a decision to go ahead and just use some of the neat parts I had stashed away for the TR2, like these Wellworthy Al-Fins, which were an option for the Doretti. The name Alfin has come to be a generic one for any aluminum drum, but I am pretty sure these are the real deal. A bit of a shame to hide them behind the disc wheels, but the aluminum fits the theme of the Doretti:

e67bcba1-d3e7-4bc3-89ef-9035dcad8766_zps

IMG_0872_zpsqorst7mj.jpg

IMG_0873_zps5rhamzvr.jpg

So for a test I filled up the float bowls with gas and used the solenoid to kick it over, and it actually fired up and ran! Of course, I had forgotten to replace the oil filter housing so I made a huge mess. I videotaped the start-up, but when I watched the video I could hear myself squeal like a girl in delight, so I won't be sharing the video. The electrical system is in pretty decent shape, amazing me to find that the lights worked even the high low beam! Lots of fun but it is daunting. I still have to clean the suspension. The car still has the original vertical link with the two "ears" at the top, which is a vestige of the Mayflower origins when a steering linkage was connected to the vertical link (I think):

Right%20front%20suspension_zpscud8yee7.j

And I have to figure out what to do with the corroded thermostat housing. This type of thermostat housing is impossible to find. Anyone have any leads on a nice new one? I am pretty sure they are unobtanium so I have to figure out how to clean this one up. There is still enough room to clamp the top hose so I guess I am ok:

IMG_0880_zpsqrgb9kac.jpg

IMG_0881_zpsbbi0x4kb.jpg

The radiator will be boiled out, and I have to figure out why the drain tap is so floppy - it moves with no resistance to the open and closed position. Notice the center outlet hole on this radiator, which is a feature of the really early ones. It was much easier to remove the radiator than in the TR2, which requires removal of the front apron. The Doretti is a bit easier to work on than the TR2, with the engine situated a bit further to the rear for better weight distribution.

IMG_0885_zpssgci5ut8.jpg

I will provide more updates later.

Cheers

Dan

Edited by 2long

Thats a very nice cupboard full of spares you have there Dan, The Thermostat housing should clean up OK with a gentle bead blast and that lip could be built up with an Epoxy like JB weld or similar. Keep up the good work!

Stuart.

• 2 months later...

Well, the old Lockheed rear end has reared its ugly head. I had huge play between the hub and axle, and the hub had pieces of broken splines inside. The manual said to remove the halfshaft along with the hub, but the hub came off with the halfshaft still wedged into the differential. My eureka moment came today when I realized that the bearing housing had just about fused with the mounting flange of the axle tube. Once I got them separated, the axle slid out of its pumpkin. But a clean up and inspection of the splines where it entered the hub shows that the halfshaft is toast.

Halfshaft_zpsl4z4xkhh.jpg

The picture shows the funny witness marks on the splines, and that is where the splines on the hub crumbled away. In the picture you can compare those bad splines with the spare halfshaft I was saving for my TR2, which will now grace the Doretti. A replacement hub was also found so a bullet looks like it might be dodged.

Cheers

Dan

Edited by 2long

Looks as if the hub had been running under torqued for a long time.

Stuart.