J Type O/D Removal

Even if you defied the laws of all things TR and managed to get it off you just wouldn't get it back on again. No hope I'm afraid!

Alan

I've heard it said that you can because there aren't the springs to fall out like on an A type. I can't recall anyone actually claiming to have done it though. When all's said and done you have to remove the tunnel cover anyway so if t'were me I'd take the box out and do the job on the bench.

I found it hard enough to fit the overdrive to the gearbox (type A), when I had the box standing upright on the bell housing on the bench. I wouldn't contemplate trying it with the box in the car even if it is possible.

Rgds Ian

The J type is a lot easier to assemble to the gearbox not having the A type springs. My main concern is if there is enough clearance at the rear to be able to withdraw it. Think I'll need about 7". Looks doable so I'll give it a try. Will remove gearbox if not. Just that it will save a lot of work if possible.

Alan.

Alan,

On a TR250 with J type it's fairly straightforward. I removed the handbrake lever, the rear drive flange and jacked up the gearbox as far as it would sensibly go. Then, with a slight rotation, off it came.

It was a little more tricky putting it back on, requiring a bit more rotation to line up the splines.

Good luck.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

O/D came off and back on without any problems. A lot easier than having to remove the g/b. Please note that this a J Type. I think doing the same with an A type would be a lot more difficult. Thanks for all the posts.

Alan.

Hi Alan

Yes agreed the J type will be easier, my earlier reply was not fully thought out and I was getting confused with the A type which would be a totally different proposition. Good luck!

Alan

O/D came off and back on without any problems. A lot easier than having to remove the g/b. Please note that this a J Type. I think doing the same with an A type would be a lot more difficult. Thanks for all the posts.

Alan.

Thanks for letting us know.

Pete