Starter motor / flywheel / foreign body

I decided to remove the high torque starter motor because I had a couple of occasions when the starter refused to engage the flywheel giving rise to a sickening noise.

On removing starter motor I checked the pinion for damage and it looks OK. What I can see the flywheel also looks serviceable, but I found a pin lying on the bottom of the starter motor aperture ( lucky or what?).

The pin is 1/4 inch diameter by 0.86" long. One end is chamfered (see pic).

I am at a loss to understand where this pin is from. My best guess so far is that it maybe the dowel used to locate the clutch housing to the flywheel, having worked its way loose and started to float around inside the bell housing (ouch).

Anyone out there know the size of the dowel I refer to, or any other guesses as to what I have here?

As always all input gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

TonyC

post-11495-0-44245900-1455113527_thumb.jpeg

And another.

They are 'just' locating pins and there should be two more, so the cover plate should be secure, if the bolts remain tight.

But why has one fallen out?

There's only one way to find out.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Tony,

Wherever the dowel is from it does not look damaged, as it surely would if it had been dragged through the ring gear / pinion so I do not see how it would prevent the starter from engaging and not show damage, or make a sickening noise. Is this loose item just a coincidence?

Alan

Hi Alan,

what you suggest is very logical but if it is the only item of debris etc in there then perhaps a bit of ricocheting has taken place.

It would need to end up on the top of the starter drive dog for it to jam into the ring gear.

I think it is time to do the lottery this week.

Roger

Thanks for all your valuable comments. Part appears almost certainly one of the locating dowels for the clutch assembly. Bought a spare from Moss and it us identical. Just waiting for the endoscope arriving to determine if I have a dowel missing or if this was an extra that found its way into the bell housing at some point in the vehicle's past.

Many thanks all once again.

TonyC