TR3a smallmount conversion > how about the indicator / sidelights?

Dear TR people,

I have an odd question that I would like to share with you.

I’m bastardizing a TR3a to a TR2 shape. For this I have changed the front apron from wide to a smallmouth.

The placing of the apron was a straight forward bolt on job. However it introduced a challenge with the indicator/side lights.

I would like to use the flat lenses (TR2), not the beehive models (TR3a). But for the installation of the bulb holders in any shape or form there is too little room between the inner fenders and the front apron. It’s has about a little less than one inch of space.

I can imagine some of you have come across this issue. I would prefer not to cut holes in the inner fenders. So maybe someone has a smart suggetion?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Niklas

Here is the front of my 1955 TR2 before restoration started.

Holes in the inner fenders as original?

Steve

post-13767-0-80437000-1454920994_thumb.jpg

Early cars with the flat sidelight lenses had holes in the inner wings to allow the rear of the lamp units to fit.

Perhaps you could use an LED type bulb which may not protrude so much, & use late bulb holder, but with flat lens ?

Bob.

Ian

That's MY pic for Nikla's info. :wacko:

Steve

Hello Niklas whilst at this stage why not fit orange coloured single element to the small lamp for the winker and move the sidelamp bulb in with the main headlight then it all looks TR2 but with a orange winker,oncoming traffic dont always see my tiny white indicator and can be a bit daunting stood in middle of a fast road turning right,i have been going to do this to mine for over 20yrs but still here to tell the tail so cant be that bad,worth a thought. Martin.

I know the indicator ligths are poor, but would like to stay original where possible. I think i will be drilling the holes in the inner fenders next weekend. Advantage is that exchanging broken bulbs is easier. Tried to build LED ligths, but the light is too bright.

Many thanks for your replies!

Niklas

Niklas

For info. original hole diameter is approx. 73mm.

centre of hole approx. 155mm in from outer edge & 95mm up from bottom lip.

Steve