Rear wheel cylinder?

Greetings, oh sage ones,

I have a 1974 ex-California CF. I suspect the left hand rear wheel cylinder has reached its sell-by date. Because it's a CF, does that mean it's a 0.75 cylinder? Is there any benefit to changing both cylinders to 0.70? The master cylinder and servo were replaced last year.

Many thanks,

Austin

Austin, that Vespertini blower is leading you into bad habits, you're not supposed to use it to drive on the brakes :)

The force exerted on the shoes, for a given system pressure, will increase in proportion to the bigger area of the larger cylinder.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/8990332_f520.jpg

That's about 14% more for the 0.75 vs 0.70 bores. Your bigger cylinders will add a bit bias in favour of the rears. Fitting the smaller bores would reduce rear braking compared with front.

With bigger cylinders the pedal dead motion will increase a bit as more fluid is needed to move the pistons before they bite and system pressure starts to rise. I presume the front chamber of the master cylinder has enough capacity. Going smaller as you plan should be OK.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Bigger bore piston will increase the force on the brake shoe. Pressure x Area.

More rear braking with respect to front.

Slighty longer pedal travel.

Peter

Greetings, oh sage ones,

I have a 1974 ex-California CF. I suspect the left hand rear wheel cylinder has reached its sell-by date. Because it's a CF, does that mean it's a 0.75 cylinder? Is there any benefit to changing both cylinders to 0.70? The master cylinder and servo were replaced last year.

Many thanks,

Austin

One of the more common upgrades here is swapping the rear cylinders for bigger Morgan ones.

There's an article on VTR that describes how much it shortens the stopping distance, and its quite significant. Ill look for it in a bit.

Edit: http://vintagetriumphregister.org/brake-conversion/

Edited by alan atkinson

Many thanks to everyone for your help. I have now got the drums off, perhaps I need to explain the symptoms that lead me to suspect the cylinder. The LH rear brake is binding up, requiring me to constantly back-off the adjuster. Everything moves freely (especially the slave cylinder), so I figured the piston will be corroded, and not returning after activation. A look at the position of the piston, and it looks fine. Now I'm stumped. Could it possibly be that the adjuster is self-tightening? I know it sounds crazy, but I really am stumped. I can change the two slaves as a matter of course, if opinions suggest. Thanks again, Austin

Austin, The cylinder should slide on the back-plate - perhaps it is stciking? I lubricate with a mix of molygrease and waxoyl. It should be possible to slide it to and fro by hand, maybe a cm. Or the handbrake cable or lever is sticking? cheers, Peter

If you have the drums back on, and apply the brakes is the drum them then free, if not there could be several things.

Apply the brakes and then release, if the drum is still tight, release the bleed screw this will release the pressure if any, if the drum then turns, then I think you have a problem with the rubber pipe working as a non return valve.

Are the shoes on the right way round, with the release springs in the right place also compared to the r/h side?

The mechanical adjusters cannot self adjust.

John

Also check the condition of the flexible brake hose - sometimes they fail internally and function like a one way valve so the pressure doesn't relieve when you lift off the brakes.

The back plates sometime wear a groove where the handbrake lever pivot is which impedes the wheel cylinder from sliding freely.