TR4 / A (kinked) gear lever

So far as I can tell, there is no reason why I cannot put the above in a 3A ?

With the std straight lever, apart from punching the dash, I also turn the stereo on/off with each gear change.

There seem to be two types, 131507 and 143624.

Apart from minor dimension differences, is there any other meaningful difference.

I assume that as a matter of best practice, I should change the anti rattle spring and lever.

Is this a job a muppet like me can undertake without screwing up ?

Without looking up the part numbers there are two types of lever used on the 4/4A,5,6. One (4 I think) has a hole right through the ball which takes a through bolt on the gearbox top cover spring and cap to hold it in place. The other type has grooves machined in the ball into which lock-nutted studs protrude to locate the lever and provide some adjustment for the left/right travel of the lever.

Edited by peejay4A

One Register member I know has a 3A which is fitted with a 4/4/A cranked gearlever and it works.

I'm not sure if his car is fitted with a 4/4/A gearbox though?

Tom.

PS: Afterthought ~ I don't think there's much difference in the gearboxes?

Edited by Fireman049

Oh yes there is - a diiference. The front flange on the 4 box is thicker and maybe a few other things besides such that it is well nigh impossible to fit it to a 2 or 3 without serious fettling of the mountings - if you force things hard with podger bars etc you'll find the engine fan poking into the suspension cross bar. Don't ask me how I know. - 46 years of experience I suppose

James

To fit a thicker flange 4 synchro A type TR gearbox to a sidescreen car, all that is needed is the later type of rear mounting plate that bolts into the chassis and onto which the gearbox mounts.

These are used from the TR3B onwards up until the introduction of the J type overdrive on the CR series of TR6.

Consequently, if needed, you shouldn't have any problem finding one.

Synchro on first gear is the easiest clue. A sidescreen thin flange gearbox only has synchro on second, third and top gear. Bell housing flange thickness will tell you a lot as will the numbers stamped onto the case. Sadly, both of these will involve getting under the car so syncro on first is the simplest method of answering your question.

However, all of this is somewhat irrelevant as you are only changing your gearlever, not your gearbox.

So, returning to your gearlever, you will be able to fit a cranked TR4 onwards gearlever to your gearbox. If you want to buy one, I have some spares - just get in touch.

David

Edited by david ferry

The radio is set back a little, but as it isn't screwed down, it tends to slide forwards.

I do need to take the tunnel insulation out from immediately underneath too in order that it can sit a little lower - is it also clashes with the heater vents !

IMG_8351_zpsrtfx2fje.jpg

Edited by McMuttley

Radio??

I suppose there's a heater as well . . .

:P

. . ah, yes,

it has . .

:P

Phil

Edited by PhilipB

Had the same issues, removed gear-lever, clamped locating end in vice, using blow torch heated until cherry red, used extension pipe, bit of 22mm copper from memory to bend to angle and direction of my choice.

Didn't crack the chrome, worked for me.

Regards Bob.