Hi Guys,

Gearbox # CG122894

I know that this subject has been discussed before but this gearbox # doesn't fit any info that I can find.

It is a non-O/D 'box and was fitted to a TR6 which was an O/D car so it's not the original 'box for that car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TR6%20Gbox_zpsilgppflu.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

Alec seems to be right : Model               Commission      Body    Engine  Gearbox DiffTR7 USA/Can 75-76   ACL			    CL      CG      CGTR7 UK/Eur 76-78    ACG                     CG      CG      CGTR7 USA/Can 77-78   ACW                     CV      CG      CGTR7 Sprint UK 77    ACH                     CH      CL      CHTR7 V8 77-78        ACN           TR7 Conv. USA/Can   ACT             .....GT CV      CG      CG    "  5 speed				            CL      CH    "  Auto               			    027M    CTTR7 UK 78-79	    TCG			    CG      CL      C*TR7 USA carb 78-79  TCW                     CV      CL      C*TR7 USA FI 78-79    TCW                     CK      CL      C*TR8 Fed manual      TC@                     10E     15A     CKTR8 Fed auto        TC@                     11E     051N    CKTR8 calif Manual    TC@                     12E     15A     CKTR8 Calif auto      TC@                     13E     051N    CK			@ = N for Coupe, V for convertibleTR7 ConvertibleUSA/Can78-79 Carb   TCT			    VV      CL      C*USA/Can 78-79 FI    TCV                     CK      CL      C*

I didn't known, till now, that some TR7 used the same gearbox casing than the rest of the TR range ?

Edited by Chris59

Chris, the TR7 did not share the same gearbox casing as earlier TRs, except the very few o/d Sprint prototypes.

As far as i know, that's: Marina/Spitfire 1500 gearbox derivate for the early 4 speed TR7, and SD1 for the later 5 speed TR7 and TR8

So, nobody here know from which car come this gearbox ?

Hi Chris,

the 4-speed TR7 gearbox was the Triumph Dolomite derived unit, also shared with Marina and Spitfire, albeit with internal variations.

The 5-speed had the LT77 unit common to the SD1.

At least a handful of TR7 Sprint prototypes were supposedly fitted with the Triumph 2000/2500/Dolomite Sprint gearbox, in 4-speed and 4-speed with J-type overdrive format.

The saloon gearbox utilised a smaller input shaft, 1" as opposed to the TR 1.25", but I think the larger mainshaft 'box may have been tried also on the 16V TR7, possibly on rally cars ? Although not, perhaps, officially !

What size is the input shaft on your car ?

It is conceivable that you may have a 'box originating from a 16V TR7.

More likely it is a 'box that has been rebuilt and had a number stamped on by the rebuilder, his own number replacing the original (ground off) factory number - a common enough practice.

Cheers

Alec

Alec, as Stags, the Dolomite Sprint gearbox has a longer input shaft, allowing the use of an adaptator between the gearbox casing and the engine plate (behind the flywheel).

I don't find (yet...) anything that could explain the "CG" prefix on Graeme gearbox, but who would have altered a stamped number to write something who doesn't exist ?

Another, funny detail about gearboxes : an SD1 2600cc gearbox bellhousing perfectly match a 6 cylinders Triumph engine backplate, except for the starter motor position.

It make sense, when you know that the Rover 2600 engine is a derivate from the Triumph 6 cylinders engine....