TR6 rear floor ( diff floor )

Still waiting. The VMC chewed a ball screw a couple of weeks ago so now there's a backlog on the machine.....so my jobs being pushed back again. Pain in the butt as I've got 2 cars here that could use the floors. Gonna try and apply some pressure this week to see if they'd run it over the weekend.

• 2 months later...

Nice.....????

• 1 month later...

Have had to put this project on hold at the moment as the millers at work are just too backed up with work. Decided to take the cad drawings to a few places next week to get some machining costs but I'm not hopeful as a, it's a big plate to machine requiring a big machine and b, the potential cost. Will have to see. Hmmmmmph! ????

Steve,

We all await with worm on tongue (baited breath).

Mick Richards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As an aside we worked with composite tooling for press tools in the 80's & 90's - The repro rear deck tools for the TR2/3 were created using steel side faces and plastic epoxy filler - worked quite well for low volume requirements.

The plastic epoxy was made by Ciba Geigy - A Sort of non shrinking, pouring araldite that would form on a panel to make punch and dies. The minimal draw characteristic was ideal for thin things like floor pressings with reinforcements like the dog shelf in the TR4-6, or small infill flitches.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rapidproto/manufacturing/molds/epoxy.html

An UK proptype company - they would probably tear your wallet to bits though...

http://www.cubeprecision.com/capabilities/press-tools.ashx

How to do it - metal presswork

http://www.engmatl.com/home/viewcategory/9-sheet-metal-and-press-tools

Peter W

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update. I'm building up the blank tool at the moment so as and when it gets machined, it'll be ready to go. The guy doing the milling is writing the cutter paths as I write and it's destined to go on the miller next week......if nothing else crops up. Fingers crossed!!

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update. I'm building up the blank tool at the moment so as and when it gets machined, it'll be ready to go. The guy doing the milling is writing the cutter paths as I write and it's destined to go on the miller next week......if nothing else crops up. Fingers crossed!!

Is the expected volume of this panel sufficient to warrant a blank tool?

If your labour and the press time are free the blank tool makes good sense

We used to use a multi axis laser to trim and pierce after pressing from a simple close to size guillotined blank.

My favourite was the pressed TR3A/44A/5/250 bumper to fully trimmed with piercings in 10 minutes.

Peter W

Hi Peter, I've bought the big steel block and everything else is free so far. It's been given to the youngest member of the toolroom as a ' training exercise '. We recently scrapped some big press tools too so I've had my pick of steel plates & risers in order to make the tool height sufficient for one of our machines. I need 2 of these at the moment and I've had people interested, but it was never meant as a money making exercise.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting a bit further on. Starting the finishing cuts now. Once the full face is done, it's onto the edge cuts and then finish off with a rad all around. Should have this side pretty much done tomorrow so hope I can get the other side straight on.

Edited by Steve T

Looking good.

Mick Richards

Hi Steve,

I don't want to cast a downer on this project but do you not think that the item you had on the milling machine is a little thick

and heavy as a back seat for a TR. I think substantial would sum it up.

As a clue, Triumph used 18SWG sheet - much lighter :)

I've got a bit of sheet spare that you could use. :P

Roger

Looking good Steve. I wish you were at this stage two and a half years ago when mine came back from blasting with the right hand side of this panel looking like a swiss cheese!. I made up a rough plywood former and hammered out a patch.

Keep up the good work. Our little collective needs more of this kind of initiative!

Best,

Sean

Nice work Steve........ I'm at the point with my resto of replacing both floor pans.... don't think I'll weld up the back section just yet just in case these do make an appearance anytime soon...!!

On the TR4A there is no fixings to the spring hanger support beam so do not need the socket indents.But hey that is superb machining and will produce a part long since gone. I was lucky in getting which was probably the last one when doing my TR5 in 2001.

It is so needed.

Regards Harry

Thanks Harry, but all credit for the machining must go to our newest ( no longer really ) trainee Phil. He's done a terrific job and I think he has also learnt some tricks. Wish I had been able to buy a replacement floor as it'd have saved me a lot of time and a considerable amount of dosh. However, the new floor creation has been an interesting although somewhat frustrating ( timescale) process.