TR6 rear floor ( diff floor )

Very nice, pretty high tonnage then to get the crispness right. Presumably the cutout for the diff hump needs to be done by hand, what about reproducing that piece to complement it?

Stuart.

Have marked the back out for cutting & bending, but is it worth leaving it as is ( oversize ) in case people need the extra if they have a rusty boot floor seam?

TBH if its rotten there then the boot floor would need replacing completely as it would be rotted at the bottom too.So I would finish as normal. Do you have a way of doing the pressed plinths for tank mounts?

Stuart.

Yes and I'd have liked to go higher really, but the press safeties kicked for some reason. I have looked at making a hump tool, but need to find somewhere that can laser scan an original for me. So far though, most of the humps I've seen have been protected by the oil leaks from the diff ????

Taaaaa daaaaaa! One pressing!! Just checking the BMH heel board fit, and it does

Ended up using 288 tons on it.

Edit: 288 not 2880 soz

Great job Steve

I think the "Red Carpet" should be rolled out next Sunday for you.

Cheers

Mike B)

Thanks guys. Desperate times called for extreme measures in my case as both my 6's needed this part and even 2nd hand ones costing £150 needed a lot of work....as I found out. Means I can crack on now.

Also, fortunate to have access to a toolroom and some brilliant guys in it!!

Edited by Steve T

Steve,

As far as I am concerned a superb job! Having served a tool making apprenticeship 50 years ago, I can see how far machining has advanced in that time. I would be interested to know how long it took from drawing to finished tooling. Was any of the tooling heat treated?

Lastly, this shows again what can be done by people with the right knowledge and access to the right equipment.

Bruce.

Thanks guys. I would say the total machining time was about 6 days ( 8hr days ) although it was fairly relaxed. The female side was rough cut with a new process to us called waveforming. This process allows full depth cutting ( 25mm ish ) so the full cutter flutes are used rather than just the tip. As a comparison doing it the 'normal' way would have taken 7hrs, using the waveforming it took just 2hrs. It was the finishing cuts that took the time as first it's finished with a 0.2mm deep incremental cut and then fine finished with a ball nose at about 0.05mm. The tool is completely mild steel so I have no idea on longevity but I spray greased both sides of the tool every 2 pressings and although ive only done 9 so far, there is no sign of wear at all.

Edited by Steve T

Hi Steve,

making the tool out of mild steel has its advantages.

It is very forgiving and will allow a small amount of flex/give. So it should never break as such.

If you find any areas starting to wear then they could be faced with a hard weld material and ground back to shape..

It will probably last forever.

Roger

Just a suggestion...don't let British Heritage near the dies, they would probably sell them for scrap after promising they would be used to press out new panels for the use of TR owners...gits.

Mick Richards

Just a suggestion...don't let British Heritage near the dies, they would probably sell them for scrap after promising they would be used to press out new panels for the use of TR owners...gits.

Mick Richards

Yep that about sums them up!

Stuart.

....that is awsome.... end of....