Swapping LHD to RHD - the pro's and cons

Hi All

This may seem like a contentious topic, but I wanted to see peoples opinions. I have a Tr4A with a solid rear axle and these were only made in LHD. Since I live in dear old blighty, I was thinking in the back of my mind that during the rebuild changing it to RHD may not be a stupid idea.

Do you have any ideas or opinions on the matter? I know that changing it from it's oringinal state is not ideal, but since we don't drive on the wrong side of the road, I'm not sure whether having it LHD will be a bit of a hinderance. Also I'm guessing that it should a simple job of filling in some holes, cutting some new ones, buying a steering rack and swapping stuff over to make it RHD (cables, brake cylinders etc...).

Thanks

Adam

I changed my LHD TR3 to RHD. Or at least, I asked Stuart to convert it when he was rebuilding it.

I know it's not original and the heritage certificate says it was LHD, and potentially there is less resale value because it's less attractive to the continent (although you could argue it's worth more in the UK which is where I would most likely sell it). But I didn't buy it with resale value in mind (which is a good thing given what it owes me now) and I do 99.9% of my driving in the UK.

I'm really glad I converted it. I've kept the LHD parts in case I sell and someone else wants to convert it back again.

Go for it. At least you don't have to worry about steering box verus rack and pinion options like a TR3

I'll convert back to LHD one of my TR6, who was converted to RHD when reimported in UK from USA, because this car left the factory as a left hooker.

I won't convert any of my original RHD cars (Land Rover, Tr2, 3, 6, Rivet, TVRs, Caterham, Westfield, Reliant Scimitar SE5a, the list goes on...) to LHD, because I wan't to keep them as they left the factory.

Ho, yes, here we drive on the right side of the road (literally :P )

Seems we are both in the same situation Adam, I suppose it's all down to personal preference and requirements. If you intend keeping the car and using in the UK RHD is the way to go I think, I've totally stripped my LHD 4A (solid rear axle) but prior to the strip down I converted to RHD to ensure all were in the correct place. Selling a LHD in the UK for road use would restrict the market a fair bit I would think.

The list goes on though should we retain the original colour, as we are only custodians of these vehicles the next owner may chose to revert to LHD and whatever colour is fashionable of the day. Your car do as you like is my decision.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers

Paul

I converted my 1962 TR4 from LHD to RHD during its total rebuild.

The big items are clearly...

Steering rack (straightforward)

Wiring loom (you will need a new one whatever way round)

New brake pipes and routing (straightforward)

Cutting/re-positioning of bulkhead holes/brackets for steering wheel shaft and brake/clutch assy (just needs care and measure twice cut once)

You can judiciously bend the brake and clutch peddles to have the correct off-set but need to source a RH throttle peddle assy (Quite rare)

and the BigOne is the Dash (rare as rocking horse ....). I cut and re-welded my LHD one as per advice in this forum. Again, this needs a lot of care and reasonable welding skills - but it certainly can be done and maybe your only option.

There are other bits like different wiper arms and changing the motor's parking position but all do-able if you go slow enough!

I found the colour the bigger decision and decided to go with the heritage certificate colour - but I liked it anyway. (Not so easy to change later)

On reflection I'm glad i made the decision to go RHD and i know that if a newly minited Silicon Valley VP wants to pay me 5 x the going rate then changing back will be relativity simple. (I didn't weld up the bulkhead holes, just covered with nice riveted thick ally plates)

Good luck with the rebuild - I'm just starting to really enjoy mine on the road although my snagging list never seems to get any shorter!

Norman

I'll convert back to LHD one of my TR6, who was converted to RHD when reimported in UK from USA, because this car left the factory as a left hooker.

I won't convert any of my original RHD cars............, Rivet, ........ the list goes on...) to LHD, because I wan't to keep them as they left the factory.

Ho, yes, here we drive on the right side of the road (literally :P )

Rivet factory :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have just fallen off my chair :ph34r:

I too converted my solid axle 4a when it was rebuilt a long time ago and apart from the chassis No and the solid axle I made sure the conversion was invisible and no one usually notices so just do it they arent that rare.

Stuart.

Rivet factory :lol: :lol: I have just fallen off my chair :ph34r:

Cheers Alan, it was a test to know who is awake on this forum ;):lol:

so we still drive on the correct side! :lol:

Pete

Apparently, not on motorways, Pete :P

I converted my 4a to RHD as that's what we need here and overtaking would be tricky with lhd. I have no interest in originality other than keeping the spirit of the car within original lines after all the various upgrades and improvements we make today weren't necessarily about in 65.

If you want an anorak friendly show car or a car that you can sell to Europe when/if the euro ever improves then again don't do it.

It's not like it's a exotic rare car so I'd say do what's best for you and just drive it!

Edited by Mark1965TR4aBRG

Hi Chass

Try this link, it's the instructions I followed to convert mine, little fiddly but it worked.

http://www.brabazon.org/home/tr4/rhd_conversion/dash

Best of luck

Paul

Edited by Paul J