Hey Mark,

Simebody will be along shortly with the right answer.....

....but while waiting....

How is the new engine performing?

Matt

Mineral is as distilled from crude oil. It contains a range of compounds of different molecular weights

Synthetic is manufactured, by clever organic chemistry, and could contain molecules of a single size and weight, although they don't to achieve a range of viscosity in response to temperature.

Semi(-synthetics?) are a mixture of both.

But then all oils are a blend, of different fractions to achieve the desired viscosity and other properties, and the right choice is not mineral/synthetic/mix, but a good quality oil of the correct viscosity defined by the manufacturer and the temperature of the climate you live in. For a TR6 in the UK that's a 20W/50, further North (seeing -20C) 10W/30 or in very cold climates 5W/20.

John

For my engine, it makes a lot more sense to run a high ZDDP mineral oil for flat tappet protection. I time-out on oil long before I mile-out on it anyway, so a super-long-life synthetic oil designed for close-clearance modern engines just doesn't seem needed for my old car.

Fully synthetics tend to have the adatives for modern engines and maybe not for older engines.

Therefore you would have to find a fully synthetic that is kind to older engines.

Not better or worse just designed for older engines.

If I remember, I think there is a Mobil1 say 10W60 or the like that will work in older engines and maybe Millers have one.

Miller CLASSIC HIGH PERFORMANCE 20w50 NT

Mark,

It protects flat tappets from wear.

Engine oil needs around 1200pm. Modern oils dont contain it, or have too little, as the phosphorous kills the catalytic convertor.

List of classic friendly oils with ZDDP content:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/52722-zddp-ppm-content-listing/?hl=zddp

Peter

And,

Synthetics are usually 'thinner', less viscous than minerals.

And moderns, built to much finer tolerances than ours do well, but it just falls out of our bearings.

I tried some with a brand new - well, rebuilt - engine, and was terrified by pitiful oil pressure.

Good old 20W/50 and we had 70 cold and 45 hot.

The synthetic may havebeemn doing its job, but I was happier to stress it on the mineral stuff.

You won't get a Synth with Zinc - it poisons the catalyst in the exhaust.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Thanks John.

Just what I was after. So what would stop us running a fully synthetic ?

Mark.

Nowt after 5000 miles rebuilt engine? no leaks? makes mineral look daft.Edit

Ring Revingtons or Opie and get the facts.

Edited by ntc

what's a 'flat' tappet, as opposed to any other tappet - actually, what is a tappet !

It rubs against the cam lobe and pushes the pushrod. Its 'flat' because its not a roller tappet. Lubrication is critical as the valve spring load forces the tappet onto the cam as it opens. Possibly the most highly stressed part of the engine.

"Setting the tappet clearance" is done at the rocker arm/valve stem gap.

Peter

Hi.

My engine builder is recommending Millers 15/60 synthetic, and I was after a couple of facts

Mark.

It is not listed by Millers themselves as classic friendly - page 5 here:

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/pdf/automotive/Classic%20Oil%20Brochure.pdf

Millers are the people to ask about suitability.

Peter

Hi.

My engine builder is recommending Millers 15/60 synthetic, and I was after a couple of facts.

Neil are you saying that Revington will also recommend synthetic ?

Mark.

Mark

After 5000 miles,however your builder sounds confident ?

Hi.

My engine builder is recommending Millers 15/60 synthetic, and I was after a couple of facts.

Neil are you saying that Revington will also recommend synthetic ?

Mark.

Having paid what, one can only assume, is a tidy sum to an engine builder to build an engine, why on earth would you 'second guess' his recommendation on the oil to use and risk invalidating any warranty you might have.

I thought that TR cam followers were slightly crowned, that there was a very large radius curvature to the face that bears on the cam.

So that they more easily rotated in the bores, spreading the stress and wear over a larger area.

I certain they do rotate - worn followers I've see have concentric wear marks.

But recently I've been told otherwise - they are flat, no curvature at all, but that some engine designs do have a crowned follower

Anyone say for sure?

John

Edited by john.r.davies

I thought that TR cam followers were slightly crowned, that there was a very large radius curvature to the face that bears on the cam.

So that they more easily rotated in the bores, spreading the stress and wear over a larger area.

I certain they do rotate - worn followers I've see have concentric wear marks.

But recently I've been told otherwise - they are flat, no curvature at all, but that some engine designs do have a crowned follower

Anyone say for sure?

John

John,

The geometry shows that both cam and follower have to 'slope' to get both that rotation and a decent wide surface of contact:

http://www.sweethaven02.com/Automotive01/fig0349.gif

If both surfaces are flat, and the follower central on the lobe, it wont rotate, so one area of the tappet wears a 'groove'.

If the follower is flat and the cam tapered the force is focussed on an outer annulus and this wears faster.

If the follower is crowned and the lobe not tapered it wont rotate ( if the follower is central on the lobe).

Flat with flat will rotate if the center-line of the tappet is eccentric on the lobe, but that relationship is built into the block ( tappet bores wrt cam lobes)

And if there's too little ZDDP - of the right type - they wear rapidly even when matched.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold