Windscreen washer jets

I am attempting to assemble and fit a recenty supplied Rimmers windscreen wiper shaft bush and jet kit (LU54704807). The jets have a ribbed shaft (not a screw thread) and the holes in the plastic unit appear far too small for a push fit. Also the jet feed tubes have a threaded end but the hole in the plastic is too small to start the thread.

To what diameters do i have to enlarge these holes to avoid fracturing the plastic ?

this is a quality issue. I had the problem with the same item from Moss. There was simply no hole in the rubber/plastic and obviously no water channel. Returned.

Edited by Geko

Hi Jack,

welcome to the forum.

Have you got a photo of your item. The one on the Rimmer site looks about normal.

Have you TRied warming the plastic in hot water before fitting the tubes and jets.

I would have though the holes need to be tight - but there is tight and tight.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

One thing to check for when you get the jets to fit is that there are no bits of the rubber material loose inside the housings. I didn't and a piece lodged itself in the waterway. You don't want to be taking it all apart when you find one or both jets don't spray properly.

Following this with interest as I need to fit same sometime to my 4.

But I'm puzzled by two things.

Most kits are shown with (two) "spacers" with one end diagonally cut, which appears to be like the spacer already fitted (internally) over the wheelbox shaft. So, since they are already in-situ - why are they supplied in the washer kit? Am I missing something?

And second, I realize the hole to take the shaft in the scuttle is slightly tear shaped (presumably to take the water feed) but in my case I cannot see it offers a big enough aperture. Is it common to have to enlarge this part of the hole in the scuttle?

Remembering the difficulty i had to fit and position the wheelboxes et al I don't relish taking them out to enlarge the aperture. I think I would rather drill for separate jets, even if not original.

Thanks for any clarification

Norman

The holes on the scuttle are slightly more triangular which allows for the jet to come up by the side.

Stuart.

Thank you guys

Norman