Well the full system is off the car at last.

Ironically the main pipe and silencer were very well sealed rear of the collector - no need for springs as they were jammed together and took 3-4 hours of bashing and heating to get the three sections apart.

No blockages in the system - indeed, a clear 55mm dia hole (58 pipes) all the way. Lots of black soot in there tho.

One small L shape hole (5-8mm) in the bottom of the section of pipe just before the cruciform - but surely not enough to explain the strong fumes and the fact that the engine bay is sooty?

IMG_8314_zps3ndlduxq.jpg

3 of the 4 extractor pipes were a snug fit in the collector and one slightly loose but not gaping. In any respect I would have thought that the air flowing from the other 3 would drag the gases rearwards ?

All very odd ?

IMG_8320_zpsdia709wz.jpg

So the mystery of the sooty bay and tubes continues - I am hoping that this may be down to extraordinarily rich running and that when rebuilt, the carbs will be sending much cleaner fumes down the (replacement bastuck) system.

As a reminder, in addition to the sooty engine bay, in slow or stationary traffic there would be exhaust gas in the engine bay and cabin and for several days after a run one's nose would smell nowt but exhaust gases ! (despite the gaskets appearing to be intact and tight ????

Found out where the old exhaust was manufactured. Not sure they do refunds !

Mordors_DuoSpire_zps4woflgih.jpg

Edited by McMuttley

Don't forget the returning exhaust pulse from the end of the exhaust back UP the exhaust pipe to the head. We try and harness it when it hits the back of the exhaust valve and rebounds again down the pipe to increase the exhaust velocity out helping suck the inlet charge in and achieve over 100 percent volume chamber filling. It WILL chuck fumes out from the system on it's way back up towards the head.

Mick Richards

In Silverback, my rear-radiator Vitesse, the air to the rad was brought in from either side via vents in the rear wing, just behind the wheel arch.

It always had an exhaust smell, that went when I gave up, put the rad back in the front and blocked the big hole in the hatchback, and the side vents.

It must have been coming in there, but why, I have no idea.

John

I wonder, could the little hole by the crucifix have been allowing fumes up through the crappy fibreglass g'box tunnel impregnating the carpet for slow release - still doesn't explain why Olde Smokey is now called Sooty !

Not sure if it's relevant but when the PO fitted the exhaust to my 4A they were a little short, they exited the car between the rear valance and the bumper, and the smell of fumes in the car was bad.

I fitted short tailpipe finishers to extend the exhaust past the bumper and that solved the problem.

Pete, that is why the smoke stacks of mordor now reside in the lean-to, I just dont plan to strangle her potential to breath too much.