CR Type TR6 Seat Headrest removal advice

Hi All

Need your help been bought for Christmas a pair of the seat belt guides and to fit these i need to remove the headrests, is there a special knack or trick to remove these without dismantling the whole seat assembly.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Andy

Hi Andy!

It depends if the spring steel stops are still fitted in the base of the chrome tubes 725972. If not they should pull straight out, but there were 2 types of friction rollers, one was a coil flat spring which was not good at holding up the head rest. The other was a nylon roller type, I have no experience of this type. The original type you can have problems with re-entering the chrome stem once you pull it out!!!. I modified mine years ago and left the base stops out. If the head restraints don't pull out you will have to remove the back seat cover. If you do, do not be surprised to find broken welds, cracked tubing, disintegrating rubber webbing and foam etc. It could turn out to be very expensive.

Good luck,

Bruce

Mine slip down ,but after reading this will leave well alone and rely on the gaffer tape and tie wraps already fitted.

Sometimes originality comes at a heavy cost. :)

Hi All

Managed to depress the spring clips through seat back to release.

Really impressed with fitment and the way they function, certainly stop seat beats getting stuck behind the seats. I also like they way they look and "not too bolt on goody"

Picture attached

Thanks for all your help

Andy

post-13335-0-95444800-1452345541_thumb.jpg

Andy,

They look good, where did you get them from ?

Kind regards

Nigel

Yes thanks really pleased with end result,

Correct Ebay purchase & yes i might try for the commission, although i won't hold my breath !!!!!

another picture of both seats

Andy

You'd be pushed .. but ask them if they have the rights to use the British Leyland swirling plug hole logo.

I'm sure BM Heritage will be all over them like a cheap suit if they owned the logo.

Peter W

Hi All!

I have seen these items a long time ago! I do not know whether they were OEM Accessory or an Approved After Market BL Item, but looking at the picture of the mouldings. They look to be a quality moulding and when they talk about UV inhibitors in the plastic compound. This suggests to me that the tooling/moulding is not the usual Repro Quality? But I would have to see an actual moulding, to confirm my thoughts, based upon my moulding experience!

Bruce.

Back to my previous comment - if these are coming off genuine original factory tooling, who has legal ownership of the tools and the right to use the logo? If BL original they fell into the 'catchall' ownership of BMH unless legally disposed of with correct sign off and scrapping procedure.

For many years the 'pirates' of the aftermarket parts world have acquired tooling that was owned by the original vehicle manufacturer or 'backdoored' product off original tooling. The fact that the additional use of the tools caused wear that eventually had to be repaired by the owner of the tools mattered not a jot to the pirate, as they had piled it high and sold it cheap.

I oversaw many tools being scrapped that BMH were not interested in like the door casing plastic moulding tools for Triumph Acclaim. I also saw many tools return to production to support a quality worldwide parts distribution network.

If you put a car makers logo on your unfit for purpose repro part, the unknowing public will buy it because it's cheap, then curse the car maker for low grade product. Thus damaging the car makers world wide image and tainting the value of the cars.

Peter W

PS Sorry thread hijack

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I have to agree with what Peter says but there is a BUT. It depends upon who originally paid for and owned the tooling. If an OE part? What were the terms and conditions of use and sale of the part(s) produced, when originally agreed with BL?

Part Nos. Stamps and Logos Marks are usually removable from mould and press tooling! Years ago I worked for a major OEM and After Market Supplier and all the tooling that we produced and used had this feature so that we could supply, all market sectors, including our own Brand. So, if you bought our after market part it was exactly the same as the OE part except for the marking.

Bruce.