Hi all

Just about to fit new liners to the block and a couple questions to those who know how to!

The liners have been supplied with what looks like flat steel Fo8 gaskets and I've a bottom end gasket set that has copper Fo8 gaskets,so which ones should I use?

Also would it be wise to give the liners a coat of copper grease or something else to make them slide into place easier?

I've got the wellseal and the block is spotless so ready to go when I decide on the above

Any experiences greatly appreciated

Tony

Hi Tony, I've done these a couple of times, but not the most experienced on here.

Firstly cleanliness is everything, the liners MUST seal at the base and therefore the seating area cannot be too clean.

Do not use any lubricant, the outer surfaces of the liners are after all surrounded by water when engine ready to go.

Use well seal to seal onto the figure of eight gaskets, I have always used this, but some will recommended a loctite product they like.

The protrusion of the liners above the block is critical, and this may influence which gasket you go for, the manual will give you the protrusion height, but they must all be within a strict tolerance, five thou was the height I recall but do check, when dry before final reassembly.

I have used the steel gaskets, but I am told these can break down after time, maybe decades as the steel eventually rusts, where as this is not the case with the copper ones.

In short, be scrupulous, don't use any lubricant, get liner height correct and consistent.

Good luck!

Regards Bob.

Tony,

You'll be needing to fit the liners dry without any copperslip (in any capacity) and also without Wellseal or other sealing medium upon the Figure of 8 gaskets which I would use the copper ones.

You need to clamp the liners down at normal head torque range 105 lb ft on used but clean headgasket (if you don't have a used gasket clamp it down without) then remove the cylinder head (secure the liners with old gudgeon pins on large washers spreading across where the liners are siamesed together) and measure the liner protrusion from the block at 4 positions around each liner. Use a depth micrometre and just the liner heights by machining before refitting with Wellseal on the FO8 gaskets., also check the block is flat

If you search under Liner Protrusion you'll find 7 or 8 threads with lots of posting from me and others on how to do it successfully, don't try and rush or short change the effort required or they'll come back and bite you.

Mick Richards

Hi Tony,

I'm doing my 4A at the moment. I did a trial fit of the liners and Ali Fo8 gaskets.

Because the protrusion is so small with little leeway the top surface of the block becomes important.

I couldn't get consistent readings around any of the liners so I sent the block off to get it skimmed (just enough to make it flat).

You could use a depth mic' to measure the protrusion or feeler gauges.

I use a length of 1/2" diameter silver steel as my straight edge. Being round, the gap underneath will always be uniform.

Using a 6" rule may allow a little bending and vary the gap.

I will be using copper Fo8 gaskets.

Roger