"Hi", I'm new to this forum, and my story is not about a Tr, but a 1972 Lotus Europa Twincam, which was my 21st birthday present from my parents. The car was already 10 years old by 1982, when I got hold of it. Before everyone tells me where to go.. the Club Lotus forum.. I thought I should add that I've owned a number of TR7s, including a couple of V8 rally cars which I've actively campaigned and currently own a homologated GpB TR7V8, which is under restoration. Back to the Europa, it was the most dreadfully unreliable motor and when the back wheel departed company for the third time, the car was sold to a young lad called Tim "somewhere down south". 20 years of missing "PBF 611M" began and despite me losing my eyesight in 1986, my love of cars did not cease and I've owned over 130 sports/classic cars including old Porsches, Lotuses and Ferraris. No, I don't drive my TR7V8 rally cars in competitions, but navigate using tactile stage diagrams. However, back to the "lost & found" story of "PBF 611M". I wrote stories about my Europa in the Club Lotus magazine, asking about its's whereabouts, but to no avail. Then, before the DVLA clamped down on such activities, I managed to learn that "Tim" still owned the Europa down in Herefored, but at an old address. I nearly gave up the 20 years hunt, but then tried 192.com and "hey presto", there he was, living in a village outside Hereford. A letter was written and then a phone call, then a visit and then my wife, Debbie, with a trailer and an old Europa on top. What a day that was, getting my old Europa back after a 20 years gap. The car had stood, a barn find, for most of those years and was unchanged from when I last saw it. A healthily expensive restoration followed, and a further 15 years of troubled motoring with a load more repair bills also followed, but all in all, I love the car and will never part from its company again. Sorry about the off topic report, I thought it was a good example of how persistence pays off and one can find the love of ones' life, if you just keep trying. Best Regards.. Andrew (shortly moving to North Dorset from Surrey)

Good story with the right outcome. Lets hope you all have many years together and the miles to be covered will be happy.

Mick Richards

A nice story Andrew and welcome to the forum. At least you stood a chance with a plastic Lotus - I have no doubt that all my old cars have been scrapped long ago as most had near-terminal tinworm when I swapped them .

Edited by RobH

P.S. Thank you for the comments, you'll be pleased to learn, that when I originally sold the Europa back in 1983, I replaced it with a Brooklands Green TR7 and the rear wheels never fell off! To keep within the ethos of this group, here's a video of me, a blind guy remember, hot wiring my competition TR7V8 after buying it from a nice chap in Glasgow, who had stored it under a cover, but outside, for 6 years. Unbelievably, it started 1st time?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m5_VHtIiUg&feature=youtu.be

Edited by jazzyspies