Accurate oil pressure gauge

Afternoon.

My oil pressure gauge reads about 8lb under and I want an accurate one. Does anybody know if the new ones from Moss etc are any good or of a retro electronic one ?

I know I could just ignore it but it annoys me.

Cheers Mark

HI Mark

Just wondering how you know it is under reading by 8lbs.

None of these gauges were IMO 100% accurate when they were made.

As far as I am concerned as long as the gauge reads 0 when the engine is off ,goes up to an acceptable figure when started and drops a bit when hot it is doing it's job. The same as the fuel, temp & charge gauges.

Don't know if the new Moss ones are good or not but there are lots of companies around that can recalibrate for you.

I have used Speedy Cables in the past. Good product but don't really live up to the first part of their name!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve.

A friend owns a local garage and has a calibrated test kit and the Engine was tested on a Dyno run. My existing gauge was so called overhauled by The Gauge Shop, wouldn't bother with him again.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I feel you are on a fruitless task. Even if you have the gauge re-calibrated how long will it remain in calibration.

They are very crude instruments and age plays a big part.

Assuming you get it to read correctly what will happen if it reads 8psi lower one day. Will that mean engine out and another rebuild.

Nothing else on your car is calibrated or even remotely set to an exact value - it doesn't need it.

You could get hold of a few used gauges and one may be better than the rest - but what does it prove.

Roger

Hi Roger.

I know you're right and I should ignore the gauge, as all my friends have said.

It would have been nice though. I was just wondering if the electronic ones are more accurate and no chance of nasty oil leaks in the cab.

Mark.

Hi Mark

If you are really concerned with accuracy then take your car to the garage who did the dyno.

Get them to plug a certified pressure gauge into your cars normal oil pressure output and then compare the figures

Don't know how many classics you run but the more you have the less you worry about the details.

The "ain't broke so don't fix it" rule becomes more true the more of these old girls you run!

Happy New Year

Steve

Hi Mark,

leaking oil is a different problem.

I'm sure the pipes have been known to come off or the internals to leak but it is very rare.

There are electronic gauges out there not have not had one myself. Getting one to mimic the other gauges will be a challenge.

Roger

Mark

If accuracy is what you are after then ……..http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/gauges-auxiliary/stack-pro-control-oil-pressure-gauge

REALY expensive but had the kit in my race car and it is very good

ATB Graham

PS stuck the lenses in the dishwasher worked at treat !

Electronic oil pressure gauges are easily done. I've used VDO for cars in the past, with a simple dash gauge and a two-output sending unit (one on/off output for oil pressure warning light and the other variable for the gauge).

Amazon has the VDO gauge alone for about $28.

http://www.amazon.com/VDO-350104-Electrical-Pressure-Diameter/dp/B000CCDLEI

But all of these gauges are "indicative", not "prescriptive". They'll give you information and YOU decide what to do with it. High precision just doesn't seem to be that important, especially since your dyno work has given you values you're happy with. You're mainly looking for a departure from normal, and it seems your current gauge would deliver this. I would fear an unending cycle of frustration trying to seek "perfection" in measurements. Where does it stop? Have you looked at your voltmeter, ammeter, speedometer, tachometer, fuel level, and so on for how precise THEY are? :)

As an apprentice I spent some time in the calibration and standards dept. It was then I chose to check my TR2 oil pressure gauge and re-set its calibration if needed.

It was not far wrong at 50 psi, not half a needle's width out. The man in charge thought it was about as good as it got for such a cheap construction and design of instrument.

The tool used was a 'dead weight tester' Yours for about 1500 quid on ebay.

I'd live with what you have - remember you are viewing the needle from one side and that may be distorting your observed reading.

Cheers

Peter W

Regardless of how the reading is indicated, by a pointer (as on the TR's gauge) or electronically, the device producing the necessary movement inside the gauge is almost certain to be the same, so you are no more likely to get an accurate reading with the electronic than with the old-fashioned gauge.

That said, the old-fashioned gauge may have suffered wear in its moving parts, but whether that will be significant can only be proved by connecting to a dead weight tester, which is the device used when calibrating instruments for use in power stations, chemical plants and the like, where accuracy really does matter.

As has been stated above, repeatability is far more important to the owner of a classic car.

Ian Cornish

In my experience the good old plumbing type oil pressure guages are a great deal more relable than electronic guages.

On my TVR S3 the electronic sender was replaced three times due to oil leaks. A common problem.

Automotive oil pressure gauges tend to be of the "no oil pressure, some oil pressure, loads of oil pressure" type and really that's all that you need as what we should be looking for is changes and trends rather than impirical values. Ultimately oil pressure is not a guide to lubrication as totally blocked galleries will give maximum oil pressure and zero lubrication. By the time the oil pressure is seen to drop off in normal driving the motor is already goosed.

Hello Mark

You could use one of these as a test I think Accuracy Class 1.6% is close enough? = about 1psi at 70 psi

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/63mm-DIAL-HYDRAULIC-GLYCERINE-FILLED-PRESSURE-GAUGES-HORIZONTAL-30-to-10-000-PSI-/131053837654?var=&hash=item1e836add56:m:ms2VU6yGjSDlclL-jLTcc-g

Then you could worry yourself into an early grave?

Roger

Ps I bought a high pressure one to set the overdrive pressure on a J type

Edited by rogerguzzi

Hi

Being a retired instrument engineer I've calibrated a few in my time!

For what it's worth I'd use the gauge as a trend indicator if it starts to read different to the norm then I would investigate further

If you must have an acurate reading then get it calibrated using a dead weight tester

The mechanical gauges are easier to calibrate, the electric versions rely on a stable voltage supply

Me too Tony, a long time ago. Also of note is that calibration at one point isn't enough. The error on a bourdon gauge isn't going to be linear.

That said I calibrated the voltmeter on Eric at the 12v position only but even that doesn't take into account ambient temperature.