I have this damaged TR2 wire wheel Lockheed hub that I want to use temporarily to get a long-dormant car rolling for transport and repair. Any thoughts about whether a home repair with a file will work on this damage, or does it take a skilled person (i.e. someone other than myself)? I don't need it as a long term solution but just as a stopgap till I get the original steel wheels and corresponding Lockheed hubs renovated.

IMG_0613_zpsmi0sckci.jpg

IMG_0611_zpsw7spxha2.jpg

IMG_0615_zpsk87xm44h.jpg

IMG_0616_zpszg15qpqn.jpg

Dan

Having sawn through a set through the middle many

moons ago, I can confirm the metal is somewhat hard.

As a stopgap only, I would use a chisel to try to bash

some of the threads back into shape and finish off with

a file or hacksaw.

The thread is pretty coarse. Wouldn't risk damaging

new spinners - I assume you have an old set.

AlanR

Hi Dan,

basically as Alan states. Because the thread is coarse it make life easier.

A file should do it. Obviously a triangular file would be best.

Is the hub very much out of round. You may need to beat it on a former to allow the spinner to pop on top.

Roger

As long as the car is only going to be pushed around a workshop or onto a trailer for movement then I don't see a problem, NOT for powered road use !

I'd use a triangular file to run down the thread pattern and elongate the exiting thread through the damaged bruised section and then swap to a halfround file to pick out a more approximate thread form mimicing the existing good thread form through the damage. Beware hammering the spinner on if it's tight, you'll need to keep trying and filing until it's an acceptable fit by hand, otherwise getting it off may be a problem.

Mick Richards

Aaah Rogers quicker on the keys than me.

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Speed the process by using a grinding wheel to remove the worst of the damage, then file (as described by Roger and Mick) to chase the thread.

Takes a little patience and trial fitting(s) with only hand torque until the spinner runs easily.

Ian Cornish

Thanks Maximus! Unfortunately this is a right front hub. There have been a stock of those front left Lockheed hubs floating around for years, whereas all the other corners are like hen's teeth! The more practical (and probably wiser) owners all switch to the Girling due to strength and availability.

Dan

P.S. If anyone is wondering, that damage was caused years ago by a backward tow, causing the spinner to loosen and fly off. Tow driving company accepted responsibility (can't ever tow a wire wheel car like that), but I should have known better too. I had to dodge the flying spinner as I followed the tow truck. Sickening feeling to watch!

Heck, Dan, for simply rolling a car around you could cross-drill the threaded portion and put a 1/4" bolt through it. (says our mutual friend).

Congratulations -- a very happy new year!